Code Weavers for Mac

Downloaded it and installed Picasa. Works pretty well.. but now I'm use to iPhoto anyways and I think it's better.. oh well. I'm going to try WMP10

Grrr... I'm still getting an error about something while starting up. "CrossOver is unable to initialize a critical component. Without this, CrossOver is unable to run, and will now exit."

Their FAQ says about this:

"This error generally reflects a total failure of the TCL libraries on your system. This often happens when users upgrade their TCL libraries or migrate TCL files from an old PPC-based mac. In either case, you will be running PPC-native libraries on an Intel machine, which results in a crash.

The solution for this problem is to reinstall TCL on your system. You want the package called 'TclTk Aqua Betteries-Included' -- make sure that you are installing Intel binaries. You may be able to get these files straight from your install CD.

We're working on an automated solution for this problem."

Now this is *NOT* really helpful. Not to a normal user, anyway. With Pacifist, I've opened the OS installation package from my original OS X DVD, but since that might or might not contain the latest version of the dreaded Tcl package... Even worse, I don't find a _package_ called 'TclTk Aqua Betteries-Included' or 'TclTk Aqua Batteries-Included' (I assume they mean 'Batteries', really, not 'Betteries') using Pacifist or Spotlight or anything. Furthermore, I don't remember ever updating TclTk to an older (PPC) version - unless some dumb installer "did that for me". :/ Either way: I can't seem to run CrossOver right now, it seems. I'm giving up. I'm tired. Should sleep.

Well sorry to hear you are having problems Fryke. I am up and running with the beta and it works really well PROVIDED you only install supported software. Which there isn't a huge choice of. But Office 2000 runs at (so far as i can tell) native speeds. I have tried other apps but so far only had success with VISIO.

It is amazing to see these apps running without Windoze in evidence.

However there is a learning curve for what lies behind the UI and I haven't had to time to explore that yet.

More later

Its not bad for a BETA, but im having issues with Windows Media Player.

It just doesnt want to install. It keeps saying that "no updates are available" and then the setup quits........

The only thing I would want it to run is Matlab, and it doesn't even manage to install it :(. That's the thing with Wine; it may be cheaper than having a full windows install, but it doesn't always work.

Then you either use an illegal copy of Windows or are not getting that CodeWeavers _will_ cost once it's final and that it doesn't include Windows. WINE's just trying to give you the necessary APIs to run (some) Windows software. :)

Hi Fryke
I had the impression that what was included in Tiger it was just a basic Tcl environment, without any of the Tk parts. Apparently that's not the case. This document has details on the install locations of the Tcl/Tk packages in Tiger: http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/tiger

You can get the full ('batteries included') Tcl/Tk download from there too; the current version is 8.4.10, where what comes with OS X is apparently 8.4.7.

Back