Codecs packs for Mac?

DarkSorrow

Registered
When i run a .avi file on QuickTime with Flip4Mac, it just load the sound but didnt load the video, and i tired to run with VLC but it didnt have the codec to run the video, so i figured it using DivX and i installed DivX player and it working fine with VLC and QuickTime. but there is tons of codec people is using. So i use K-Lite Codec Pack on my window and found there is nothing for Mac. Is there any codec pack for Mac?

You already have the common ones. If you have any trouble with any particular codecs, try searching macupdate.com or asking here. The AC3 Codec and Xiph Component are probably worth downloading.

By the way, VLC does not use external codecs. Divx, Flip4Mac and the like don't change its functionality at all. Those are QuickTime codecs, and VLC is not QuickTime-based.

I know VLC is not QT-based.

i have AC3 Codec.component file, but i cant get QT to open it. OSX told me that QT can open it but it keep pop the error saying it cant open the file

I know VLC is not QT-based.

i have AC3 Codec.component file, but i cant get QT to open it. OSX told me that QT can open it but it keep pop the error saying it cant open the file

I'm guessing that you're on an Intel Mac. A possible reason for this failing is because AC3 Codec.component is compiled for use with PPC, and thus will not run under QT on the Intel Mac. Rosetta isn't being used, because QT is a native application, but the plug-in you're trying to load isn't. A quick search on Google turns up an AC3 Codec that is compiled for PPC but not for Intel and this pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Solution? Try finding a AC3 Codec that is compiled for Intel (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21875) and that should work.

You don't have to "open" a component file with the _player_ software. You have to put it in the right place, so the player knows about the component. There should be a ReadMe file with the component telling you where to put it. I guess it's in one or the other Library folder.

mplayer for mac is great too as another option

Used to have mplayer, didnt like it.

I'm guessing that you're on an Intel Mac. A possible reason for this failing is because AC3 Codec.component is compiled for use with PPC, and thus will not run under QT on the Intel Mac. Rosetta isn't being used, because QT is a native application, but the plug-in you're trying to load isn't. A quick search on Google turns up an AC3 Codec that is compiled for PPC but not for Intel and this pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Solution? Try finding a AC3 Codec that is compiled for Intel (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21875) and that should work.

that explained it. but the download link is down because the hosting company lost the whole files on the computer, so Macupdate is trying to recover it

The hosting company lost all the files on this computer. I am slowely recovering from backups.

You don't have to "open" a component file with the _player_ software. You have to put it in the right place, so the player knows about the component. There should be a ReadMe file with the component telling you where to put it. I guess it's in one or the other Library folder.

There is .zip file but when i unzipped it, it only have the component file, there is no readme.

QuickTime components go in /Library/QuickTime (for all users) or in ~/Library/QuickTime (for only one user). If the QuickTime folder doesn't exist, create one.

Note that after installing, you will need to quit and reload applications before they can make use of the new components.

Back