Colleges

Trik

Registered
Hey,
I was just wondering I'm a student in High School and I'm starting to think about colleges , and I was wondering what Colleges are good for someone who wants to work with MACS mostly just a question.
Thanks
Andy

Really shouldn't matter in the leats truthfully. My colelge told me before I went that they didn't support Macs. This wording is kinda tricky as what they really mean to say is they don't provide any technical support for macs. Other than that the Mac was actually a helluva lot easier to get on the school network and all. I was able to do everything on par and possibly better thna many o the pcs in the school. In fact I discovered there was a sort of underground mac culture amongst the techies in the IT dept. They simply didn';t have the resources to support another platform in the hands of typical users. However if you know how to use your computer yourself, you hould have no problem.

Also a lot of colleges are more unix centric than naything else fomr what I've seen, at least fomr the network backbone and to some degree remote application services and what not. So Mac OSX is at home here to a degree.

You should probaly email the It dept of wherver you'e going beforehand just to be sure. I know busniess courses don't like Macs sometimes because we're "non-conformist" and engineering depts may not like Macs due to obscure old serial connecting physics equipment and all.

I go to Florida State University and they are very Mac friendly. Most of my professors use Macs over PCs and the campus is even wired for Airport support. Also, there are many Mac-only computer labs and the graphic design department uses G4 Powermacs. The bookstore here also really pushes Macs in terms of what to buy. So if you come to FSU, you can definitely bring your Mac too.
-Doofy

Wow, i've always hated FSU. i loved it when the Vols won the national championship by beating them. but maybe i should ease up on them a bit given this new info. (i can still hate Bowden, he probably doesn't know how to use any computer :D )

University of Colorado in Boulder has a great Mac User's Group and many labs full of Apple computers (supposedly all going OS X next semester). The MUG has a very active email list (over 150 members) and monthly meetings that are also well attended and have many cool demos and presentations. This is also a campus that officially does not support Macintosh but I have found great support as well as new friends in the process.

RIT [Rochester Institute of Technology] has A LOT of Macs...we even have our own apple store [as part of the book store] and apple care center...

In whatever you decide to do, apple.com has a store for almost every school where the college will discount your price if you buy a mac. I recently bought an iBook from the apple.com online store through the University of Delaware. They said that most schools are friendly to both Macs and PC's and it makes no difference. It's your personal choice, but I know U.D. is compatible with both systems.:p

Hey Fahrvergnuugen,

I figured there would be other RIT students around here, you are the first i ever ran into. Yea our Campus Connection has all the latest Apple stuff and at a great student rate. Too bad this is my last year :(
, but I'll be making the money to make up that lost discount :)
I just wish we got a Ti free, part of our tuition, I would be on time to EVERY class.

University of Cincinnati is so-so. If you enter DAAP (Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning) then you have to get a Powerbook Ti...required. Not sure on the other 11 or 12 schools under UC though.

trik - i am not sure your question is clear. are you asking which schools are supportive of macs and allow students to accomplish their work in a mac format for any subject you choose to study or are you wanting to know where to go to be sure you get some mac instruction along with other computer platforms while obtaining some sort of computer related degree?

these are pretty different questions i think.

Back