Color Display

egon

Bounder of Adventure
Hi,

I have a general question regarding color display between Mac and PC. I have often heard the argument that Macs are always better for graphics, of which I whole-heartedly agree, as I do graphic design myself. But my question is why? What is the technical background to this, why Macs are better at color display and correction and so on than PCs.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

macs have this reputation based on history - back before 1984 (the year the macintosh was released) there were some sort of visual computers (google the ARTRON 2000 studio computer), designed for the design business to harness the untold power of the 'Computer', and they cost $24,000. and looked like a commodore 64. it had two typefaces.

apple came along and gave us the GUI (graphic user interface), and a decent system that could be easily expanded (1-100 typefaces could be done. 1-100 circles could be drawn etc. no real limit other than speed). it cost a LOT less than $10,000. it completely changed the design industry. within 10 years, the macintosh was the industry standard for graphics.

at the same time though (c.1992, 1993), windows reached 3.1, which, for the first time, started to rival macOS. photoshop was released for PC, as well as mac. since then, the gap between the two has got smaller, to the point now where it really is mostly a matter of choice. the design industry still supports the mac more, but the pc is supported by the rest of the world a lot better.

the quailty of coluor output, is as you say, better. also the machines are usually built primarily for the crative industry (accurate colour and detail), whereas PC's are designed for either games (fast 3d graphics) or office work (erm... cheap? really, to write an office document, all you need is a 386), and so in terms of detail, they lack.

hope that's at least mostly accurate, and informative

$0.02

Back