color ls in terminal?

synaptojanin

Registered
Does the terminal app support color listings? typing:
<fixed>$ ls --color</fixed>
gives no complaints, but also no color.
Configuring .bashrc or .tcshrc with an alias similarly yields no result. launching an xterm in xtools and running ls --color chokes, making me think that the variant of BSD doesn't have color ls. Has anyone else looked into this? I really need color ls.

The DJ

Registered
Originally posted by synaptojanin
Does the terminal app support color listings? typing:
making me think that the variant of BSD doesn't have color ls. Has anyone else looked into this? I really need color ls.
The terminal supports color. I get color listings, when ssh into the university server, which i configured in .bashrc to use color.

This version of ls on OSX indeed does not support color ls. I remember that someome ported this, but i don't know who and where anymore, i'll be looking for it.

512ST

Registered
a ported color ls is available at <http://www.10k.org/~jake/>. i haven't tried though.

LunaMorena

Registered
Originally posted by The DJ
This version of ls on OSX indeed does not support color ls. I remember that someome ported this, but i don't know who and where anymore, i'll be looking for it.
That's because color in ls is a linux invention, and it's something that BSD doesn't support without additional installation. it does the color ls just fine when I telnet into my linux box. (Unfortunately it doesn't show the colors in vim but that's probably because I have something configured incorrectly that lets vim know that I'm using a color terminal.)

amosb

Registered
Unfortunately it doesn't show the colors in vim but that's probably because I have something configured incorrectly that lets vim know that I'm using a color terminal.
as a <tt>vim</tt> junkie, i cannot live without color and thus have spent years honing the most precise vimrc possible. to get color in <tt>vim</tt> (version 5 or higher) on almost any platform (including OS X), the first however many lines in your <tt>~/.vimrc</tt> should be:

<pre>#### everything you need for color ####
version 5.x

set ttytype=vt100
if has("terminfo")
set t_Co=8
set t_Sf=^[[3%p1%dm
set t_Sb=^[[4%p1%dm
else
set t_Co=8
set t_Sf=^[[3%dm
set t_Sb=^[[4%dm
endif

syntax on
#### end color settings #############</pre>

let me know if it doesn't work.

dani++

usin UNIX since '92
works like a champ!

thanx... but though my path has '/Users/dani/bin' (where i've put the coloured ls) before '/usr/bin', direct 'ls --color' invocation does not call the new one. If i provide the full path it works perfectly.

I would only like to set it up without actually aliasing 'ls'
That would pave the way for any other user-specific commands...

thanx,

dani++

[Edited by dani++ on 10-23-2000 at 07:14 PM]

amosb

Registered
Originally posted by dani++
thanx... but though my path has '/Users/dani/bin' (where i've put the coloured ls) before '/usr/bin', direct 'ls --color' invocation does not call the new one. If i provide the full path it works perfectly.

I would only like to set it up without actually aliasing 'ls'
That would pave the way for any other user-specific commands...
Do you still have this problem? My only guess is that if you are trying to run it in a terminal that was opened before you installed, it didn't see it in your path. Try running <tt>rehash</tt>, which forces your shell to rescan your path and see what commands are available. (or you could just close all your open shells.)

let me know if that doesn't work.

MacInLew

Registered
I tried both the ls and the .vimrc and can not get either one to work. I tried rehash, exit and re-launching Terminal. I had to create a bin directory in my user directory, and the.vimrc file. My path does show my bin directory even though there was no such directory until I created it.
Help?