color profiles in 10.4.11

videoflyer

Registered
Has anyone else noticed any issues with color profile switching in 10.4.11? Since I updated the operating system, the colors displayed on my monitor have been, uh, flickering between different profiles at seemingly random times (although it appears that there is what may be simply a coincidental relationship between minimizing a full-screen Safari or other browser window with nothing open behind it and an apparent switch back to my preferred color profile - haven't been able to confirm that yet, though). Most of the time now my display looks like crap.

It could be that my CRT is about ready to give up the ghost - it IS about nine years old now, after all - or it could be a newly introduced incompatibility between the OS and the Pantone Huey software I use for color correction. But how would I go about confirming the root of the problem and fixing it? I'm a designer so it's more than just a matter of its looking bad to me...

If I need to downgrade the OS to 10.4.10 (under which I had no problems whatsoever), I'd gladly do it though I don't know how I'd go about doing that.

I thought that signs of a CRT failing were dimness and picture shrinking. I have not seen any sign of colours shifting at all since updating to 10.4.11.

I've never owned a monitor long enough to see it in its death throes - no, I take that back. I did own one once that permanently shifted green. But I haven't found anyone yet who's experiencing what I've described above.

I'm at a loss.

Okay, here's something. I'm using a screensaver that takes a screengrab when it activates and then does its thing over the top of that. I'm still seeing the color/brightness flickering effect when the screensaver is running. Would this be an indicator that the problem is actually in the monitor? Or am I just over-thinking (or under-thinking.....your call) this thing?

Back