colored ibooks around the corner

ye i was going to say that about the two button thing you can't get any mac (lap top or desk top) that has two buttons can you (I know you can use almost any thirdparty mouse with OS X but there just not the same!) I've got a logitec one and ye it looks good (for a two button mouse) it just doesnt have the sleek elegance of the apple ones!

fryke said:
PowerBook screens also fold behind the rest of the chassis and they also only have one mouse button. So that wouldn't solve your problem.

I knew someone was going to point that out. =) However, the discussion really has nothing to do with PBs, we're talking about iBooks.

jobsen_ski said:
ye i was going to say that about the two button thing you can't get any mac (lap top or desk top) that has two buttons can you (I know you can use almost any thirdparty mouse with OS X but there just not the same!) I've got a logitec one and ye it looks good (for a two button mouse) it just doesnt have the sleek elegance of the apple ones!

Right. I'd really only use an Apple mouse for the styling. Technologically and functionally it's just nowhere near as good for my use as a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel. Hands down.

And I can always get a different mouse. On the desktop that's a bit easier since I'm just replacing a part for another part. On the laptop using an external mouse can change the way you use the computer altogether. In my case I tend to be pretty casual with my laptop. In the office I use a docking station (which has an external mouse, monitor, etc) but I telecommute a lot or do other things with it from home, and I like to be comfortable. My "office" is usually a big comfy chair, or maybe the couch. I really don't want to use an external mouse.

I just don't understand why Apple insists on issuing one-button mice (or trackpads) - there's no good *technical* reason, I haven't heard a good style reason - most people seem to feel that they're doing it because it's an Apple "trademark". That's what they've always done.

IMO if one of Apple's signature features was, say, a two-foot tall flourescent red bird call integrated on the top of every chassis, you'd think Apple would eventually admit that, well, that's stupid, and admit that just because "that's the way we've always done it" is really NOT a good enough reason to keep doing it.

Do not underestimate the fasion value of technology. The iMac taught us everything we need to know about that. I know half a dozen women that bought iMacs BECAUSE OF THE COLOR! For NO other reason. Insane, yes, but real nonetheless.

That is exactly why I knew the iPod MINI would be a success. Because women are insane. (And because they are kind of cool).

Wired magazine a couple of issues back featured a story about a designer for Toshiba (I think) who designed a wicked cool laptop for them. It looks like, hold your breath, a lipstick/makeup case. It's bright red plastic. It looks cool actually. If Apple had designed it, we'd all be raving about it.

Integration of fashion and technology is HUGE.

I think it's definitely appropriate for the iBooks go start being hip again. Like the originals, but not quite so dorky.

If people want pink iBooks, use a third-party company. And if women wanted a pink iBook, then I'm sure Apple's marketing department would have discovered that. And people are making comparisons to Minis and cellphones, which are quite small and handy. An iBook is larger and therefore the arguments should be qualified.

There had been a lot of rumours about anodized aluminum. I _still_ think that having five options is a logistical nightmare - not only for Apple, but for dealers also. (They'll just NEVER have the right model available, and people get p**d when they COULD buy one but not in the COLOUR they'd like...) But how about... offering _one_ anodized aluminum colour? ("You can have your iBook in any colour you want as long as it's blue.") :)

This track reminded me of an article in the May Macformat (UK edition number 142, page 33), which talked about a utility called Sidetrack. Ive not got a powerbook/iBook i can play with (yet...), so Ill just quote what they wrote:

As good as the trackpads on Apple's portables are, they can be a little slower to use than regular mice. Sidetrack is an increadibly useful addition to any Mac laptop. Installed as a preference pane, it adds functionality to the trackpad, converting the right-hand edge into an up/down scrollwheel and the bottem edge into a left/right scroll. The pad itself can also be set to perform a left- or right-click, or a click-and-drag action when you tap on it. Speed and sensitivity can be set, as well as scroll area size. This really is fantastic, and when you start to use it you'll realise how long it used to take dragging over to the scrollbar every time you wanted to move up or down a Web page or a document.
With Sidetrack it's easy, and it becomes second nature in next-to-no-time.

You can find Sidetrack's website here: http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

By the look of the site, Sidetrack will now let you set the corners of the trackpad to act as extra mouse buttons too - you can make you iBook act like it has 6 mouse buttons!

Oh - its also a public beta that'll expire at the end of June. Im guessing youll havta pay for it after then? :(You'll also need X.2 or later, according to the readme.

and: while it's fun, it feels awkward sometimes... (sidetrack.) it takes a little getting used to, so you don't accidentally scroll instead of moving the cursor etc. ... but: what exactly has side track got to do with coloured iBooks?

Ripcord said:
I just don't understand why Apple insists on issuing one-button mice (or trackpads) - there's no good *technical* reason, I haven't heard a good style reason - most people seem to feel that they're doing it because it's an Apple "trademark". That's what they've always done.
When removing Spyware off all my Friends Wintel Laptops, I always find myself clicking on the right Trackpad Button, until I plug in an external Trackball, anyway…
Back on Topic…
dlloyd said:
What, you mean the 'toilet-seat laptops'?
LOL, I always feel slightly sacraligious when I visit the porcellan Room at my brothers house, with his iBook Coloured Toilet Seat.

Back