Colour profiles for external screen (Dell E178WFP)

immanence

Registered
Hi,

So I screwed up. Or I'm too poor to do things right.

I bought a Dell E178WFP, 17" 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz, 32-bit color external flatscreen.

It's not great.

And I live in Egypt and can't take it back. I should have bought an Apple cinema display, but it would have been five or six times the price.

The problem is its colour profile. I set it the same as my powerbook, to LCD Color, but it still looks like a PC screen, and I hate that. One of the reasons I love mac is the subtlety of the colour of the screen; it is calm and has depth, unlike PCs which always look garish and brash to my eye.

Is there anything I can do?

I explored the color settings, but so far can find no way to actually set the external screen in a way that it renders like the main screen of the powerbook.

Ideally, I'd have them both near enough the same. Theoretically, this should be possible, no? Given that I'm running the external off my mac, and that it's a simple LCD that can render millions of colours.

But I'm stuck.

The thing is sitting there glaring out its awful colours at me.

It's a big screw up on my part, but I'd really appreciate if anyone can bail me out of this hole.

I pity those who have no other experience of computers than looking at these damn awful contrasts.

Please help!

The default Dell profile is terrible. Have you tried setting up a custom profile? If not, do the following:

1) Go to System Preferences
2) Open the 'Displays' preference pane
3) Select the 'Color' button
4) Select the 'Calibrate...' button and follow the steps.

When complete, make sure the "Select profiles for this display only" is NOT checked, and make sure your newly saved profile is selected.

Also, on the display itself, try hitting the menu button (2nd from left), then using the 'Plus' button (4th from left) click until 'Color Settings' is highlighted, then click the 2nd button from left again to enter this menu. Once the menu options are revealed, make sure 'Mac Mode' is selected for color.

Hope this helps,

thanks for your reply.

I tried everything you mentioned, except I don't remember a "Mac mode" setting.

After I wrote my original post I found out (or a friend negotiated) that at a 20% per cent loss for having opened the box, I can take it back. I think I will. I will either go without an external screen period, or wait until I can afford an Apple Cinema display. I think all other displays are garbage.

It wasn't just about the color scheme; reading text was a strain on the eyes. The definition on the Dell was awful. Apple may not be perfect, but it gives us great screens to look at. I can work for hours and feel no negative impact.

Given that the resolution on the Dell was not a whole lot more than that on my current powerbook screen, it didn't even seem that the extra "real estate" was worth it.

Anyone's thoughts on best screens for macs would be appreciated. Samsung and LG seem popular around here.

So I learn a lesson .......... on aesthetics (both external and viewed), Apple can't really be beat.

Another suggestion.

Take it back and take you laptop with you. Ask them if you can try the laptop on the available screens so when they have one you like, you buy it. They might even drop the charge for having the boxed opened.

Also maybe the screen itself is bad and should be replaced / repaired under warranty. A good shop will certainly help you with that. Otherwise try the screen at a friends PC and check if it looks okay than. If not, it certainly should be returned for repair.

Good luck, Kees

Back