Combo update panicked, now everything is slower

markpatterson

Registered
Hi! I had all my software up-to-date, 10.2.4, and I was getting a few kernel panics. The Mac OSx.com forum recommended using the combo installer, so I tried that, but it kept panicking, at about 10% of the optimization. I eventually gave that up and sent the log to Apple.

But now everything seems to take 3 or 4 times longer to start. It's not a pleasant experience. It's not just me - my wife says that since the weekend when I did this everything has been running slower.

Any ideas? If I reinstall jaguar would that clear the problems out, if it's OS related?

Thanks for that link. I guess there are some useful lawyers ;). By clean install, do you mean reformatting everything first? That sounds scary. It would mean backing up all the user data and downloads to CD first, then putting them back in the right place. I've never had to do that before.

Or do you mean just install it as if it were a full installation (rather than an upgrade)? Is that an option when you put the 10.2 CD in?

Since the slow down I haven't had any problems. The problems I was having were that Camino would crash, get cleaned up by the OS, and then when I ran it again a panic would happen. Also, sometimes, the mail app would crash when I started it. Even logging out and getting back in would not let it continue. A full reboot was required :(.

I hope that 10.2.5 will fix the underlying problem.

On a good note, I haven't had the battery problem that many 10.2.4 ibook users have had.

Back