Command-Tab with Window Titles

Slagheap

Registered
My typical work pattern is to have one or two Terminals up, and several Gvim (text editor) windows. I would like to be able to quickly Command-Tab between all these windows. The problem is that the title shown in the Command-Tab pop-up only shows the name of the application... not the window title.

Gvim sets the window bar title to the file name, and I have my shell set up to put the current path in the window title... so both are useful, but Command-Tab doesn't show me those titles... just a bunch of undifferentiated Gvim and Terminal icons. Is there any way to make Command-Tab show window titles instead?

Any 3rd party tools that can take over Command-Tab and show me more useful info?

If that can't be done, is there any way to make Exposé a little more useful by having that show window titles all the time... not just when I float the mouse over that window? Again, these are mostly text windows, so I can't tell at a glance in Exposé what each one is... I have to float over them to find the one I want.

Thanks,
Malcolm

If command-~ (or technically, command-`, since there's no Shift key involved) isn't exactly what you want, try the free Witch. It's like a text-based cross between Exposé and command-tab. It's really neat.

The Cmd-~ or Cmd-` is language-specific. For a Swiss-German keyboard it's Cmd-<, for example. Is it always the key next to the left shift key, maybe?

Witch is perfect! Thanks Mikuro and everyone else who responded. Too bad it can't take over Command-Tab... but Option-Tab will do.

By the way, I know about Command-~, but that doesn't work for Gvim, because it doesn't run as several windows in an application, but rather several separate apps.

Thanks everyone,
Malcolm

The Cmd-~ or Cmd-` is language-specific. For a Swiss-German keyboard it's Cmd-<, for example. Is it always the key next to the left shift key, maybe?
Ah. On my keyboard, the `/~ key is to the left of the 1 key.

But it's easy to know what it is, and even change it to whatever you like. Just go to System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard Navigation. It's labeled, appropriately enough, "Move focus to next window in active application".

Well, the < next to the left shift key works fine for me. ;) ... What I don't like is how Mac OS X should be all language-aware but doesn't show the correct shortcut anywhere for this one. On a German system with a Swiss German keyboard that is.

Back