Comparing/contrasting/combining folders for backup

videoflyer

Registered
During a particular stretch of time, I got particularly paranoid about losing work files to hard drive failures. But instead of implementing any kind of logical backup system, I simply made periodic copies on whatever portable drive I happened to have handy of the folder containing ALL of my work files. So now what I have is multiple, multi-gigabyte copies of my Work Files folder in various places and from different points in time. I know that many of the files contained within these multiple backups are identical but that there will also be files unique to one or another of the backups and files that were altered between backups but still have the same filenames.

Oy.

What I want to do is compare/contrast/combine these multiple backups into one comprehensive backup that I can then burn to disk(s) thereby freeing up many, many, MANY gigabytes of storage that I could desperately use. As things currently stand, I don't want to just ditch any of these backups for fear of getting rid of particular files or versions of files that I may need down the line. I suppose I could simply fall back on archiving ALL of these different folders but many of the iterations are too big to fit on a single DVD (or, in some cases, 2 or even 3).

Is there a software utility that could relatively easily help me combine these folders - weeding out all of the identical files but including different versions of the same files (based on modification dates when the filenames are identical)? It seems that Chronosync might be a possibility....or am I just SOL?

Help!! This feels like a nightmare in the making (already made?) and I just want to make it go away finally.

Back