Compatibility Issues

FlashMac

Registered
Hello People

Does anyone else find it a bit of a nightmare to get accurate information on Software and Hardware compatibility? There really need to be more tables laying out what works with what.

I have inherited a network of mostly PPC Macs (G4s, G5s, iMac G4s, Old Cubes and Powerbooks) and some Intel Macs (iMacs, Mac Pros and MacBooks) with Quark 6, 7, QLA and CS2, Suitcase and Suitcase fusion. Yeah, nightmare, this place has had no coherent Mac support ever and I'm supposed to consolidate it all.

So now we can only get Intel Macs. I have established that I need to upgrade QLA to version 4 for compatibility with Intel and PPC and Q6 and Q7.

I'm running ARD2 on a steam-driven (400Mhz) G4 so it can't actually get any reports without hanging so I'm going nuts with the company credit card, woohoo.

I'm currently looking at a Mac Pro 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon 1Gb/250Gb HD/Sdrive which is the base model, probably with 2Gb RAM. But I've found this, which I find mildly confusing:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060322114241519

..and leads to this Apple note:

Remote Desktop 2: Integrating with Intel-based clients
You can use these steps to install the Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 administration application on Intel-based Macs.

Note: If you follow these instructions, your Intel-based Mac will no longer be supported as an ARD 2.2 client.

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click the Sharing icon.
In the Sharing preference pane, select Apple Remote Desktop.
Click the Stop button, and deselect the checkbox for "Show status in menu bar."
Quit System Preferences.
Locate this folder:
/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement

Drag this folder to the Trash. This will require that you authenticate with an admin user password.
Install the Apple Remote Desktop 2 administration software.
Install the Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 Admin update, if necessary.

I take it that "Note: If you follow these instructions, your Intel-based Mac will no longer be supported as an ARD 2.2 client." means that it will be usable as the Admin machine but not as a client (not a problem) and that it will be able to administer Intel and PPC Macs. It doesn't sound very reliable going from the reviews at the bottom of the macosxhints page.

Am I right in thinking that the only RELIABLE way to run ARD in this environment (basically about as mixed as a group of Apple machines can get) is to get ARD3?

I'm on my own here so can't afford to take chances and be tweaking things all the time. I already have to wade through the whole Quark7 vs. InDesign issue right at the point where the Intel revolution has limited the options (when the next Quark comes out I will be pushing for CS3) so really need reliability with ARD.

Am I right in thinking that the only RELIABLE way to run ARD in this environment (basically about as mixed as a group of Apple machines can get) is to get ARD3?

Correct, get ARD 3 if you're using Intel Macs.

Many thanks Bob. I've never had purchasing power before and don't want to waste money, so just a bit nervous of committing to these things.

Back