Compatible scanner for MAC OS X

ruemoscou

Registered
I recently tried to connect a new Epson 1660 scanner (does slide, negatives, etc) to my OS 10.2 system. Epson says it should work, but it does not. Has anyone installed an os 10.2 compatible scanner?

First, do you have the correct drivers installed for it?
Perfection 610/640U/1240/1640/1650/1660/2400/2450/3200 series users:

Download Twain Driver v.5.75A.

Notice: In order to use Twain 5.75A, you must install an OS X-compatible and Twain compliant scanning application, such as Adobe Photoshop 7 or Photoshop Elements 2. OS X compliant scanning software is not included on the scanner installation CD that came with your product. If you do not have any third-party OS X scanning software, Apple provides a standalone scanning utility called Image Capture.

Special Note: Twain 5.75A supports 10.2 to 10.2.3.

Now if Epson's drivers do not work, try VueScan
http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

Epson's TWAIN 5.75A driver for OS X would not install on my machine (permissions failure at end of installation process). Is that because I am at 10.2.6? Also, were TWAIN 5.75A to nstall correctly, would Image Capture then be made aware of the film-scanner attachment of the 1660? Image Capture actually worked for reflective document scans but did not have a way to turn on the lid light of the slide/film scan attachment.

Run Disk Utility from the Utility folder. Specifically repair permissions. Remember that you must do the verify, then repair even if it says permissions were fixed after the first scan. Then you should be able to install Twain.

I never used a slide attachment, so I can't help with that. You probably need a third party program to do that. Graphic Converter can use the twain to acquire images. It's a shareware that does a great job. :)

:D I have an Epson 2450 that works flawlessly in OS X. I downloaded the latest Epson Software and installed before even trying.

As a general rule; Any thing Epson works if they say it does. I have 3 different Epson printers and the scanner all running in OS X 10.2.6. They worked in earlier versions of 10.2.x as well.

I couldn't install the 5.75A driver, either - same error - for my 1260P, even after repairing permissions.

So I downloaded the latest Photoshop 7 Twain plug-in and that worked perfectly.

Back