Compiling GAIM for OS X

cello

Registered
I've been trying to compile GAIM for OS X and I've been having issues. I was able to get gtk to work by setting the CFLAGS variable to -traditional-cpp. (I got gtk from www.darwinfo.org/ports.shtml ). Anyhow, ./configure on GAIM worked, but then when I tried to make it, it gave me these errors:

In file included from ../../src/multi.h:26,
from yay.c:40:
../../src/gaim.h:104: libintl.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [yay.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Obviously it can't find libintl.h. Any suggestions?
 

machg4

Registered
Hey, perhaps I could help you out: maybe you can grab a header (gnu, standard of course) off an x86 machine with linux loaded with all those useless features that allow them to use 30 year old joysticks and so on. If you dont have access to one, try downloading a gnu distribution of gcc (the source code) and searching through it for the headers, and placing that one where it belongs on your machine.
 

cello

Registered
Sure, but where should I put the headers so that the make will recognize it's there? I'm bit of a newbie when it comes to using make-files and such.
 

HalimC

Registered
libintl.h is part of the GNU gettext package. I believe there is an OS X port of this. Once you have gettext installed, it should compile fine. However, I was able to compile GAIM and even run it on my system, but I am not able to connect to any services in it.
 

SpoonMan

Registered
Hi,
Why bother compiling gaim, AOL made sure only its own instant messangers can connect to the server. :p Gaim was cool, but the os X version of the AIM client is pretty nice too.
 

droid

Registered
try

% cd {build dir}
% rm config.cache
% make clean
% ./configure --disable-nls
% make
% sudo make install


nls is the gnu internationalization stuff, which is probably what is trying to #include libintl.h. you probably don't need it, so disable it. most modern gtk/gnome applications will either require you to have gettext (which is the core of the gnu internationalization, and seems to change weekly) or to --disable-nls at configure.

-alex
 
Top