Compiling glib

donpapadapolis

Registered
I am having some difficulties compiling glib. I have downloaded the ported darwin version from http://www.darwinfo.org/ports.shtml and I did the ./configure --host=powerpc-apple-freebsd command and that is all fine. then I type make and i get this error everytime:

cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=g_log_domain_glib -g -O2 -Wall -c giounix.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/giounix.lo
giounix.c:1301: bad macro argument list
make[2]: *** [giounix.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

and then back to the command line. I know a little about linux but not nearly enough to figure this out. So any help would be great.

Thanks

I was compiling iODBC on a lark, and got pretty much the same set of errors from make:
<code><font size=2>
% make

[ ...lots and lots of compile commands]

/usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _libname
info.lo definition of _libname in section (__DATA,__data)
Info.lo definition of _libname in section (__DATA,__data)
/usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _version
info.lo definition of _version in section (__DATA,__data)
Info.lo definition of _version in section (__DATA,__data)
make[2]: *** [libiodbc.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
</font></code>
+ + + + +

So there you have it. Any ideas, interpretations?

i\'ve found that that archive seems to be corrupted (i get errors when running gnutar on it), so i also downloaded the glib-1.2.8.tgz from ftp://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/pub/gnu-darwin/

i ran gnutar on both of them, and copied the contents from the darwinfo distribution into the sourceforge distribution (neither would compile on its own). ./configure and make were fine... i have a few errors on the make install, though, but i think they\'re just problems with the docs...

good luck!

i\'ve found that that archive seems to be corrupted (i get errors when running gnutar on it), so i also downloaded the glib-1.2.8.tgz from ftp://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/pub/gnu-darwin/

i ran gnutar on both of them, and copied the contents from the darwinfo distribution into the sourceforge distribution (neither would compile on its own). ./configure and make were fine... i have a few errors on the make install, though, but i think they\'re just problems with the docs...

good luck!

billbaloney,

Your error is quite different from the other one.
It looks like the same symbols (libname and version) are being defined in two different files and causing the linker to choke. His is dying in the preprocessor. If you look at the error message, you\'ll see that this conflicting symbol is being defined in Info.lo and info.lo. I suspect this is being caused by HFS+ being not case sensitive. As we all know, this is a bad thing in the UNIX world. Perhaps you could try and do your compile on a UFS partition. Let us know what you find out.

Terry

the bad macro argument list error can be fixed by doing:

setenv CFLAGS -traditional-cpp
then rerun ./configure ppc;make

Back