compiling php libjpeg error

lethe

Registered
I m installing PHP with support for a GD graphics library (following instructions i got here at webmonkey)

i successfully installed all the prerequisites, libjpeg, libpng, libgd, etc.. but when it came time to install PHP, the configure script failed. i told it this:

Code:
./configure --with-gd=/sw/lib --with-jpeg-dir=/sw/lib --with-zlib-dir=/sw/lib

and it told me this:

Code:
checking for the location of libjpeg... yes
configure: error: libjpeg.(a|so) not found.

incidentally, this file does indeed exist here: /sw/lib/libjpeg.a

Code:
% ls /sw/lib/libjpeg.*
/sw/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib       /sw/lib/libjpeg.a                  /sw/lib/libjpeg.la
/sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib           /sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib

Code:
% fink list | grep jpeg
 i  libjpeg         6b-5        JPEG image format handling library
 i  libjpeg-bin     6b-5        JPEG image format handling library
 i  libjpeg-shlibs  6b-5        JPEG image format handling library

so why would libjpeg not be found? thanks for any help.

from the PHP page:

In order to read and write images in jpeg format, you will need to obtain and install jpeg-6b (available at ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/), and then recompile GD to make use of jpeg-6b. You will also have to compile PHP with --with-jpeg-dir=/path/to/jpeg-6b.

Basically, the 'jpeg-dir' is the root
of the jpeg 6b directory and not
necessarily where you installed the .a

My hunch is that the configure
script is looking for
<jpeg-dir>/lib/libjpeg.a

You'll need to either fake it, symlink
it or so. check the config.log file for
more detail.

Here is line which compiles php for me (fink) and replacing built in PHP

Code:
CFLAGS="-arch i386 -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp" CCFLAGS="-arch i386 -g -Os -pipe" CXXFLAGS="-arch i386 -g -Os -pipe" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -bind_at_load" ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-config-file-path=/etc --sysconfdir=/private/etc --enable-cli --enable-ftp --enable-mbstring --enable-mbregex --enable-sockets --with-ldap=/usr --with-kerberos=/usr --with-mime-magic=/etc/apache2/magic --with-zlib-dir=/usr --with-xmlrpc --with-xsl=/usr --without-iconv --with-gd --with-png-dir=/usr/X11R6 --with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6 --enable-exif --enable-pdo --with-jpeg-dir=/sw --with-freetype-dir=/sw --with-t1lib=/sw --with-pgsql=/sw --with-pdo-pgsql=/sw --with-curl=/sw/lib

Back