Component Manager errors on starting applications...

ridmaur

Registered
On almost any application I start, the following message is written to console.log:

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt).

Does anyone has any clue what this means...?

thx
Rob

I'm getting the same thing. Not sure it is just when an application starts though.

Mine will also say "last message repeated 1028 times" (the number varies).

I posted this on DealChat and some one else has the problem but no idea what it is.

Fred

I figured out it has to do with the QuickTime Toast VideoCD support plugin, When I rename the 'Toast Video CD support.qtx' file to something else in /Library/QuickTime, I don't see the messages anymore. So, I don't thing they are indications of a major problem; more of the logging type....

I read that removing the VCD was the problem also - so I removed that a month ago. Never stopped the msgs - still get them just as often.

This murky issue is at the crux of the major app instability problems I've been having for a while now. Here are two recent examples of crash messages -- they all start with a Component Manager message:

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)
May 7 00:49:40 mattholford crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/holford/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Toast Titanium.crash.log

*** malloc_zone_malloc[476]: argument too large: -52559868
## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)
May 7 00:57:51 mattholford crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/holford/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Sherlock.crash.log

Man, it's been driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas at all how to trace this problem, or even how to tease out what's going on here?

Well, the Component Manager messages are probably not related to the crashes - they always pop up when you start an application that uses Quicktime. So those messages are popping up, then the app is crashing and sending the other message. Hmm, if the Component Manager messages are in the crash logs, then they're part of the problem.

Though like I said, I don't think they are. I haven't had any weird application crashes, and I've been getting those messages pretty steady myself.

It seems that if you move the Toast Video CD Support.qtx folder out of /Library/Quicktime, the messages do indeed stop happening.

billbaloney - to see what's causing the crashes, check out the crash logs that are written out. Most times they make no sense whatsoever, but sometimes you can figure out what may be causing it.

Hmm...yeah, I've been looking at the crash logs, but all that I've seen so far (in Sherlock's case) is that there's a consistent problem in the thread that's handling some kind of security, or at least digest-like data verification.

I'm still working on it. This is basically what happens everytime:

Thread 2 Crashed:
#0 0x900741f0 in memmove
#1 0x92ba3828 in shsUpdate
#2 0x92bd7a0c in SHA1Object::digestUpdate(void const*, unsigned long)
#3 0x92cd94e4 in Security::CSPFullPluginSession::VerifyDataUpdate(unsigned long long, Security::CssmData const*, unsigned long)
#4 0x92cd8ed0 in Security::CSPFullPluginSession::VerifyData(unsigned long long, Security::Context const&, Security::CssmData const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, Security::CssmData const&)
#5 0x92c1bce8 in cssm_VerifyData(unsigned long, unsigned long long, cssm_context const*, cssm_data const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, cssm_data const*)
#6 0x92bf5f5c in CSSM_VerifyData
#7 0x92ca7b84 in Security::CssmClient::Verify::verify(Security::CssmData const*, unsigned long, Security::CssmData const&)
#8 0x9417b3a4 in VerifySmallDownload
#9 0x9417af44 in VerifyData
#10 0x94158ddc in ResourceDidFinishLoadingCallBack
#11 0x93fac610 in -[IFURLHandle(IFURLHandleClassInternal) _notifyClientsDidFinishLoading]
#12 0x93fac270 in -[IFURLHandle(IFURLHandleClassInternal) _sendCallbacks]
#13 0x90149414 in __CFRunLoopDoSources0
#14 0x901487f8 in __CFRunLoopRun
#15 0x90180f58 in CFRunLoopRunSpecific
#16 0x90148240 in CFRunLoopRun
#17 0x9415c2ec in SEMessageHandlerRun
#18 0x9415c104 in SEEventLoopRun
#19 0x9415db4c in HTTPRequestEventLoopEntry
#20 0x9415be98 in ThreadEntryInternal
#21 0x90020d28 in _pthread_body

Did you subscribe to any third party channels for Sherlock? It looks like it's trying to download something (or an update of something) and barfing on security of some sort.

Hmm, you could try deleting Sherlock's prefs & cache, that might help.

I deleted the Sherlock cache and prefs from my home directory, and I've been looking for other files to delete; but I've never installed any third-party plug-ins for Sherlock. It's definitely trying to verify or do transformations on some data for security reasons. Interesting.

Back