Computer does not recognize iPod after update

Ralphie79

Registered
Hi,

I a Windows XP user, I hope that's alright! I just got a new iPod nano and was sooo excited, but I can't get it to work. I've tried all of the usual fixes mentioned on the Apple website (the five 'r's and all of that, making sure the USB ports were not in power-save mode, etc.) If anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful, I'm so depressed that I was finally able to buy an iPod and it doesn't work! So here's a brief description of the problem...

I plugged my iPod into my computer before I installed the iPod software, which maybe started the problem? At this point both my computer and iTunes recognized the iPod, however. After my iPod charged I realized I hadn't installed the software yet so I inserted the CD and went through the installation process, although I think the process wasn't completed. I never got the 'assistant' that I've heard about or a prompt to plug in my iPod to download songs or set various options. The program just said 'finished' and that was it. I went ahead and downloaded the updater and was told I needed an update, so I downloaded an update. I was able to install the update so the computer still recognized my iPod at that point.

After I installed the update, however, my computer and iTunes stopped recognizing my iPod. It doesn't show up in My Computer at all. I tried renaming the drive to a lower letter (from E to O) which someone suggested, and that did nothing. My iPod recognizes that it's plugged in and gives me a "Do Not Disconnect" message but it doesn't show up anywhere in my computer.

So far I have tried:
-The 'r's (reboot, reset, etc).
-Assigning a different letter to the driver (O instead of E)
-Making sure the power-saver feature for USB ports is off
-Turning off Mcafee Security Center

I'm not able to restore the iPod because the computer doesn't recognize it at all, so when I bring up the program it just tells me it's waiting for me to plug in an iPod.

I anyone has any advice I would be so thankful!!!

i am having the same problem, my ipod is messed and and i downloaded the updator an stuff but it doesnt recognize the ipod, someone help us, lol

Back