Computer Does Not Wake From Sleep

RobertJohnston

Registered
I have a G5 dual 1.8 GHz with 1gb ram 10.4.1. When my computer goes to sleep, pressing any key shuts the computer down therefore requiring a restart. If I select the setting "allow power button to sleep the computer" and press power key the same problem occurs. I had the same problem with earlier system 10s. I am getting over the problem by using screen saver and reluctantly shutting down when not in use for some time.

I have a similar problem where my computer will not wake from sleep. My problem is due to the USB 2.0 PCI card and DVD/CD-RW drive that I have added to my computer. I know for a fact that third party PCI cards and other added hardware can cause your Mac to not wake from sleep when put to sleep manually. However my computer will wake from sleep if it sleeps based on settings in the energy control panel.

My solution - Shut it down when not using it.

My computer will not wake up from sleep even when it falls to sleep from the energy control panel. It's a G5 1.8 with 1gig of ram 10.4.1. I do have a logitech mouse attached instead of the mac mouse. Could that be the problem?

Could.
Also the RAM you guys have ... is it Apple RAM? Remove the extra RAM to see if the issue occurs with less / minimal / default RAM amount. Sometimes RAM can be the guilty for sleep issues.

I am runnign with APPLE RAM. I'm beginning to think it's the moitor because I've set my MAC to never go to sleep and never stop the hard drives but left the monitor to sleep after a period of inactivitiy. This morning I come in and the monior will not come back on without a hard shutdown and boot.

I purchased my Power Mac G5 with dual 2 GHz cpus, 2.5 GB of memory along with a 20" Apple cimema display. All parts came with computer from Simly Computing. From day 1 I have had these intermittent problems with not only wake up but also start up problems. After trying:
Resetting PRAM,
Resetting PMU,
Repairing Persmissions,
Upgrading to 10.4 (from 10.3),
Running Tech Tools Deluxe ( lost access to 2nd Hard Drive).

Some days, I actually had to restart my computer 10 times before the monitor would come on. I can hear all the things like HD, Fans, clicks on the monitor, lights on the Keyboard and mouse, but still have a blank monitor.
One day after 12 start ups, I took my monitor down to London Drugs, the only store selling Apple products. They plugged it in and it started the second try.They would not send it back to Apple without me getting a work order number. I took it home and it started for about 1 week with out a problem. The next time it took 6 tries, with start I connected my old CRT screen as a 2nd monitor and had no problems ups. After two weeks, I needed the CRT on my windows PC. Then started to get the no start up again problem on my G5.
I redid the above checks and now I am getting 95% good start ups. However, if I let the G5 go into a deep sleep, (no fans) I end up getting black and green lines on my monitor and have to restart. To think I bought a Mac because of its reliability.
Please let me know what else to try!
I also have a Wacom Intuso II which may be causing the problem

I had the same EXACT problem. I tried going through Apples usual steps to troubleshoot the problem. They had me move .kext files. They had me talking with "engineers." They had me remove the card and reseat it (all was well for about a week and then right back to the same crud.) All sorts of things, but nothing would solve the problem. I happened to meet somebody that worked for Apple and they were able to arrange for a new video card to be sent to me. That fixed it. Two years have passed and I have absolutey no problems with the video.

I have a Dual 2GHz Powermac with 1.5GB of RAM. The bad card was the stock 64MB ATI card. They replaced it with the same model, but with a different revision.

I had the same problem "no wake up from sleep" and I resolved it. My MX 510 Logitech Mouse was in fault. I uninstalled the "Logitech Control Center Application" and specialy the extension "LogitechForceFeedback.kext" in System/Library/Extensions. After that, I reset the PMU. I installed the new multi-buttons mouse application like "Steer Mouse". That all. Now the Computor wake up from sleep normaly.

Just had the privilege of reinstalling my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with system 10.4. (thrashed my HD, corrupted the volume header file, recovered it but decided to wipe the drive and start fresh after removing data files).

The new installation is thus:

2 partitions:

1 20GB system partition
1 120GB data partition

OS 10.4.4 (initial install 10.4 updated with 10.4.4 combo update).
Xcode 2.2 installed.
All remaining updates installed.

There are four accounts. 1 admin and 3 staff. Each account resides on the data drive. Paths updated via Netinfo Manager. Each user directory chown'd and chgrp'd to proper user. Login is fine for each account.

Nothing out of the ordinary and save for account location, remaining install is vanilla. No additional apps installed.

When the computer goes to sleep, I cannot wake it. Eventually (roughly 15-20 minutes) the machine begins to wind tunnel and I have to hard boot it.

Current work around: set the machine to never sleep (except for the display). [I was going to set it to never sleep anyway, but hadn't gotten to that stage when the problem reared its ugly head.]

Any ideas on what may be the cause of this behavior?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall which video card shipped with the unit. RAM is standard Apple RAM shipped w/ the machine.

Unit is dual headed with a 19" LaCie CRT and 20" Dell Ultra Sharp LCD.

As I didn't have this problem before, I'm not quick to suspect hardware.

mosx86 said:
Just had the privilege of reinstalling my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with system 10.4. (thrashed my HD, corrupted the volume header file, recovered it but decided to wipe the drive and start fresh after removing data files).

The new installation is thus:

2 partitions:

1 20GB system partition
1 120GB data partition

OS 10.4.4 (initial install 10.4 updated with 10.4.4 combo update).
Xcode 2.2 installed.
All remaining updates installed.

There are four accounts. 1 admin and 3 staff. Each account resides on the data drive. Paths updated via Netinfo Manager. Each user directory chown'd and chgrp'd to proper user. Login is fine for each account.

Nothing out of the ordinary and save for account location, remaining install is vanilla. No additional apps installed.

When the computer goes to sleep, I cannot wake it. Eventually (roughly 15-20 minutes) the machine begins to wind tunnel and I have to hard boot it.

Current work around: set the machine to never sleep (except for the display). [I was going to set it to never sleep anyway, but hadn't gotten to that stage when the problem reared its ugly head.]

Any ideas on what may be the cause of this behavior?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall which video card shipped with the unit. RAM is standard Apple RAM shipped w/ the machine.

Unit is dual headed with a 19" LaCie CRT and 20" Dell Ultra Sharp LCD.

As I didn't have this problem before, I'm not quick to suspect hardware.

The video card is a GeForce FX 5200 with 64 MB of RAM.

Back