Computer froze, now Safari is bad but Firefox is still OK.

gondolio

Registered
Hi

Yesterday my mac (powerbook, running on 10.4.11) froze and after I reset it, Safari doesn't seem to load any pages.. it just stays in a "loading" state.

Firefox, however, seems to be working fine (as does Mail) so it appears to be a problem with Safari.

I tried the following:
1) Restart computer
2) reset safari
3) use some dnschanger remover utility (saw this in another post, and downloaded utility from CNET, but it failed to find any issues).

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Sounds like you werent giving your computer time to do its thing, it was probably cataloging whats on your HD, which can take up anywhere from 50% to 150% of your CPU, and 50% to 100% memory. It is temporary when this happens again, and you must let it finish. If it does not finish, your computers search function will become useless, and you will start to notice all around slowdowns. The reason this affected Safari and not Firefox is because for some genius reason, Safari's developers decided to use look over function and packed it will all of these cool looking 3d effects and shadows and whatnots, meaning it requires more of your cpu and ram to do the simplest of all tasks, which is to just open and run.

Alhough the bright side is you already found a short term cure when this happens again, use Firefox :).

Oh, and that dnschanger remover utility crap is crap, dont use it and delete it for good. For a important note, dont listen to CNET for any computer related problems, especially when it comes to mac. They endorse things that will literally destroy your computer (PC), and for mac they flat out have no clue what their talking about. Kinda the same when it comes to them and news ;)

Back