Computer keeps crashing

tkdragon

Registered
Recently (within the last few days) my computer has been crashing (not freezing) sporatically and many times a day. I'm running Tiger, verified permissions and such, even did an archive install of the OS. Still crashes. I have an old Sawtooth G4, and I upgraded it to a 700MHz (from OWC) about a year ago. That's the only thing I can think that might go wrong, but it might be software, I don't know. Could my upgraded processor be melting or wiggin' out somehow? or the software (even after an archive install)? I don't think this is related to when my system freezes from those fancy OSX effects (save menu scrolling down, dock genie suck, etc)... I think that's my upgraded video card... I've posted about that before: no solution. Here's what the crash looks like. Writing this quickly inbetween crashes :p My computer's not doing so good, is it? crash picture

I have read in the past that the Blue and White G3 PowerMac's and several of the G4 PowerMac's had problems with their Hard drive IDE bus after being used for several years. One thing you can try, is moving the hard drive to the same bus as the optical drive.

This will require setting the Hard drive as master and optical drive as slave and also hooking the HD and optical drive up to the logic board using the same cable. You might have to buy a new IDE ribbon cable which has one connector at the tip and then one a few inches down so you can put the HD and optical drive on these (the same cable).

NOTE: Make sure you plug this cable onto the logic board where the optical drive's old ribbon cable was plugged in, NOT where the hard drive's ribbon cable was plugged in.

My MAC sawtooth has been crashing too whenever I try to render on Final Cut. I had exactly the same strange code you sent in the pictures. I also upgraded from OWC to a 1400 ghz processor which is the limit. It was fine since I did that and I edited last year fine but now I'm screwed. It doesn't happen with any other programs but final cut. Applemaz, do you think I have the same hard drive ide bus problem? I have a new hard drive and my editing drive in an interior maxtor 250 gig ata with a sonnet card. Everything is super fast and clean, just the rendering on final cut. I'm did clean install three times. HELP>>>

If you are using a Sonnet ATA IDE card plugged into one of your PCI slots, then you don't have the problem I was describing. The problem I described involved the logic board's ATA IDE bus. Your use of a Sonnet ATA IDE card bypasses the logic board's IDE bus as long as your hard drive's are connected to the Sonnet ATA card.

Okay, now it's not starting up at all. I hit the power button, all the fans go on and hard drives spin up, but no start-up chime and screen never turns on. Does this mean the processor is officially kah-put?

Back