Computer logs in as root on accident

jpboyes

Registered
I'm having a strange issue with my brand new iMac with OSX Lion. When first logged in as Administrator, it worked fine. I configured everything the way I wanted it, but then I encountered my problem.

When i logged in as Administrator, the computer would log me in as "root" instead. I had never enabled the root user prior to that, so I don't understand how this happened.

Now, on the login screen, if I enter "administrator" for the username and my password, i've got a 50/50 chance of either logging in as Administrator or Root.

Has anyone else seen this issue before or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Huh? What in the World are you doing? Administrator is the type of account in MacOS X, not your user name. I have seen and used accounts in Windows called "Administrator," but never on the Mac. The first account established on a new Mac is an administrator account. All other accounts are as you set them up. It sounds like you setup root without paying attention what you were doing.

Leaving the Root user enabled is NOT recommended for good security.
Check to make sure that your root user is disabled:
Open Users & Groups preferences.
Click the padlock, and authenticate to unlock the pane.
In the Network Account Server section Click Join, or Edit.
Click Open Directory Utility.
Click the lock icon to unlock it, and authenticate again.
Choose the Edit menu. Click on Disable Root User.
If it says "Enable Root User", then you do not have the Root user enabled.

You really, really, really need to have your account be named anything but administrator or root. Even if you don't have root enabled there will be problems.

Back