concatenating pdf files

daver969

Registered
Is there an easy way to take several pdf's and concatenate them into a single file? (or several .ps files)?

PDF stands for Portable Document Format; PS stands for PostScript. The two are almost, but not quite, one and the same. With which type are you dealing, or is it a mixture of the two?

Well, I used to generate PS files with Classic's "Print to a file" feature, but these days I save to PDF's in OSX. The problem is that I often use several pieces of software to generate a single 'document' (typically Appleworks and some Graphing software (I know that AW does graphs, but I need more flexibility)), so a single paper ends up being maybe 5 pdf files, if I have 4 charts.
So I'm trying to find a cheap way (buying Acrobat for $250 solely for one feature doesn't appeal to me) to concatenate pdf's. The reason I mentioned ps files in the original post is because I have ghostscript, so i can convert between the two, all I need is something that concatenate either ps or pdf.

Hmmm.... That's one of the core services of Acrobat. I use AppleWorks a lot; have you considered importing the graphs as some other file format and then printing to PDF? If it's a one-time thing, I'll be happy to do it in Acrobat for you.

> I use AppleWorks a lot; have you considered importing the graphs as
> some other file format and then printing to PDF?

ah yes, forgot to mention that part: importing PDF's into Appleworks works fine and looks good on screen, but when I go to print it out, ugh! the PDF becomes all blurry, like it was scanned poorly or something. (i've emailed apple about this)

thanks for the offer, but this is something I will want to do a lot, and I would hope that eventually it becomes trivial in OS X/Appleworks. But for now, I continue my quest for a workable solution.

I just imported some high-meg PDFs into AppleWorks 6.2.2. They seem fine. If you import as type paint (raster), make sure that the document/frame into which you place them is not set at the default resolution of 72 dpi. AW can handle as high as 360 dpi, with a maximum of 2000x2000 pixels (Apple REALLY needs to up these numbers to around 600 dpi with the number of pixels AT LEAST around 10,000).

Originally posted by chenly
I just imported some high-meg PDFs into AppleWorks 6.2.2. They seem fine.

but did you print them out?

If you import as type paint (raster), make sure that the document/frame into which you place them is not set at the default resolution of 72 dpi.

How do I do that? I seem to remember a dpi setting in the preferences for an older version of AW, but I can't find it in the one I'm using now (6.2.2)

No, I didn't print them, but I saw that they had enough pixels. To answer your second quesition, Format>Resolution/Depth will let you change (You guessed it!) the dpi and color depth; Format>Document is the menu path to resize the document/frame in absolute pixels. If you have trouble using these paths for a paint frame, make sure the frame is selected (you'll get the menus for the type of document in which the frame resides if you don't).

Back