conecting mac with pc via firewire

cianfich

Registered
I need to transfer files from my Hp desktop with XP to my ne G4 powerbook with osx. I tried a network and spent hours, fruitlessly. I have tried, a little connecting the two with a firewire where the mac acts as an external hardrive, but The Hp could not find it or something. Any answers regarding how to connect the two via fire wire? thank you very much.

Won't work with Firewire. Use an Ethernet cable, may have to be a crossover using on the PC, but I'm not sure about that.
Share the drive on the PC
On the Mac, go to the Sharing PreferencPane, turn on file sharing and Windows sharing. Then on Mac, use the Go Menu, Connect to Server.

I have my PC networked with my G5 no problem via firewire, internet connection sharing even works over it.

All you have to do is add the FireWire port to your network settings, do this in System Pref. Click on the network button and in the show combo box select Network Port Configurations. Click the new button, call it whatever and select Built-in FireWire.

Then all you have to do is connect the two machines, give em both IP addresses in the same subnet e.g. Mac 192.168.2.2 subnetmask 255.255.255.0, PC 192.168.2.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 dont worry about dns or anything. Turn on file sharing on both machines and you are golden.

Let me know if you need any more specific details. When I plug the mac into the PC XP wants to add a new device, I just cancel, it still finds the firewire network connection.

Make sure you have the built-in Windows firewall turned off if you try the e-net way again.

I've used FW to do large transfers between my Mac and my uncles 2 XP Pro boxes without problems...works great. A bit of a pain to setup, but it only takes a few minutes and it's worth it if you're TX'ing a large amount of files.

Back