configd fails to start

hgreenfi

Registered
Man is this little ibook hosed! The first sign of a problem was the lack of airport and battery icons in the menu bar. Then I noticed that any changes that I make in SystemPreferences / Network fail to be updated. I think I have tracked it down to the fact that configd is not being started / crashing at boot. When I try to start configd manually I get the following error.
"configd (daemon) failed to start, recieved signal=4" I am pretty much at a loss at this point. This isnt my box, I am helping a friend, so I don't really know what happend to cause this. I am going to recommend a reinstall unless anybody has some other ideas. Thanks for the help!

Harrison

Can we assume you did the reinstall? When things are really freaky (on other people's machines, since mine are always perfect ;-) a reinstall is usually much quicker than a day of troubleshooting.

Yup,
Did the reinstall and the problem reoccured about 3 days later. Despite having done a cursory hardware test, a trip to the apple store confirmed that the problem was a faulty hard drive.

Harrison

Back