Configure Sleep mode?

dave25

Registered
I have just aquired one of the flat-screen iMacs (my first Mac) and I've signed up for an ADSL internet connection service. The problem I have is that every time the Mac goes into "Sleep" mode", the USB modem loses its power supply and hence the connection to the ISP. I then have to restart the computer before I can re-connect to the ISP. Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the "Sleep" mode to still supply power to the USB ports while the rest of the system sleeps? I have OS X 10.1.2 by the way. Thanks

Nope, sorry, not possible (AFAIK).

You need to contact your ISP and request a real modem (an ethernet one). They should switch for free or a small fee. This will be better in the long run.

Also, make sure you run software update frequently. You should be on atleast 10.1.3 with a security update thereafter.

Thanks. I'm new to broadband internet and as far as I could see all the UK ISPs seemed to offer the home user a package based on a USB modem. I'll investigate the posibilities of an ethernet version.

Also, my iMac is brand new out of the box last weekend. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed to hear that it was shipped with an out-of-date version of OS X

Thanks for your help.

Well, thanks to making Windows configurations next to impossible for newbies, many ISPs figure it's just easier to throw a modem in a box with USB support since anyone and their dog can figure out how to plug in a USB modem.

However, this is a non-standard modem so that's why it requires stupid drivers and such, and can sometimes be unreliable. But, whatever works for the ISPs and newbies. There's no more "use the right tool for the job" anymore. It's do what it takes to make a buck.

As for the updates, well, I guess it would not make sense to stop the entire production line just to install updates. Using software update, Apple's made it fairly painless to install new updates. I have mine check daily for new updates so I can always stay on top. That's just how it works in the computer industry.

okay, so i think im pretty upto date with updates

but when was 10.1.4 released?
10.1.3 cameout 19 feb (ish) and thats what i have

10.1.4 Client has not been released. Only 10.1.4 Server.

Rumor has it, there's a 10.1.5 Client in Beta testing as we speak. So, 10.1.4 Client will be totally skipped over. Very strange numbering system indeed.

I did a little bit of package hacking to get 10.1.4 Server update to install on my client machine, but the only thing it really did was break some stuff and make my computer think it's running 10.1.4. I don't suggest doing it. Wait for an official client update.

I know that this is not ideal, but you could set your system's options so that your display blanks, and the HDD spins down without ever actually completely going to sleep.

R.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have now solved my problem by getting a proper ethernet router, as recommended by "dricci".
I'm annoyed that all the UK ISPs seem to be spending a great deal of money encouraging people to sign up for broadband services and at the same time encoraging people to buy USB modems which are clearly sub-standard technology. They are virtually guaranteeing a lot of disenchanted new customers who, like me, feel their lack of technical knoledge has been taken advantage of.

not all broadband services require USB connections in the UK. I use NTL Cablemodem they use Ethernet modems. In fact, the modem that came with the service can be connected by either method.

R.

Originally posted by roger
I know that this is not ideal, but you could set your system's options so that your display blanks, and the HDD spins down without ever actually completely going to sleep.

R.

Just open the Energy Saver panel. Set the sleep timer to the far right (never). Select the check boxes for separate times for display sleep and HD spin down and slide those about as you like.

Back