Confused about Airport and AOL

Izzy

luv my lil' malteaser
Hey everyone...quick question for those of you in the know. I'm going to be buying an Airport Base station to replace the one that my former roommate is taking with him. My question is pertaining to using the base station with a phone line. If I go through the base station and the phone line, can I have multiple computers using AOL at the same time? Also, will I get disconnected just as quick if someone picks up the phone by accident? (only have one phone line)

I'm going through serious high speed withdrawl...I used to have broadband, but my roommate moved out and I can't afford the 40 bucks a month. I can use my parents AOL and not pay a dime. Thanks for the answer to the questions though :-D

Originally posted by Izzy
If I go through the base station and the phone line, can I have multiple computers using AOL at the same time?

Tricky question. Although the AirPort base-station will technically connect to the internet through a local AOL server, multiple computers among the same account (group of 7 screen names) may NOT use the AOL SOFTWARE at the same time. I've tried this before with two different phone lines... you can only use the AOL software with ONE computer with ONE screen name at a time.

However, I believe you can still do internetty things... such as a Web-browser, AIM, and ftp and such, while somebody else is on the AOL software... I think.

Originally posted by adambyte

Tricky question. Although the AirPort base-station will technically connect to the internet through a local AOL server, multiple computers among the same account (group of 7 screen names) may NOT use the AOL SOFTWARE at the same time. I've tried this before with two different phone lines... you can only use the AOL software with ONE computer with ONE screen name at a time.

However, I believe you can still do internetty things... such as a Web-browser, AIM, and ftp and such, while somebody else is on the AOL software... I think.

hmmm...that's what I was worried about, darn AOL and their controls ;)

Thanks for the info...:)

Back