Confused...

Rannie

Registered
God I'm frustrated. Basically, I have 6 computers at home and I'm heading off to China to live in 4 weeks and I want to consolidate all my data on one Powerbook/ external hard-drive.

3 of them are running OSX.4 and are no problem. I will use one for my music (digital DJing), one for work and one will go back to Apple (I work for Apple UK but am leaving on Friday)...

The problematic ones are an old G4 running OS9.2 and a Dell PC (sorry!) running XP. I've managed to connect my PB X to the G4 9 and drag all the files onto my 1TB firewire drive via the PB X. I manually inputted IP addresses on the PB X and G4 9 and can see the G4 9's HD fine.

Now I want to do a clean Tiger re-install on the G4 9 which only has a CDRW drive. I am trying to boot through the PB X but to no avail. The G4 9 just won't see the PB X - I've been to the chooser and selected AppleTalk which yields nothing. Entering the IP address manually in the chooser gets me no response either...

Any tips would be very welcome.

My second problem is that I want to get the data from the Dell onto the PB X. I have burnt most of the documents onto CD's and then extracted them onto the external HD, but what I really want is my emails from the Dell. I used it for work for 2 years, and have some critical contacts and mails that I would love to port over to Mail. Is this possible? Which files (.pst?) do I burn and then do I import them into Mail?

I've spent 4 nights until about 3am trying to get this to work - any tips or tricks would leave me indebted forever!!!!

Thanks for reading

You can't install Tiger over AppleTalk. You'll have to either get Tiger on CDs or put the G4 in FireWire target mode so it appears as a harddrive on the PowerBook. Then you can install Tiger from the PB side.

About the Dell: Depends on what you're using for E-Mail there. If you can, install Eudora on that PC and import any mails to Eudora there. Export from there and import into Eudora on the Mac side. From there you can get those mails to Mail.app or Entourage, depending on what you're using. Might want to use a PC forum for the task, too... :/ (E-Mail client developers obviously are not interested in giving you an easy way to switch to ANOTHER E-Mail client. Too bad for us users...)

Thank you so much - will try tonight...

Just one question - how do I put the G4 into Firewire target mode?

Back