Congrats to nkuvu!

Thanks, Klink! That looks good enough to eat...

So Ed, what is keeping you busy these days? I seem to remember that it is the yard again, but I could be misinformed or misremembering.

Why is it that when I have to get up early I tend to stay up late? I've been getting really tired during the day, but can't force myself to go to bed at a decent hour. I mean, come on, it's midnight and I have to work in the morning, and here I am, posting away...

I am excited to go see Episode II (you know, Star Wars?) tomorrow. What's even better is that my company is paying for a bunch of us to go. For no apparent reason. We're a software company, so we have a lot of geeks on staff (myself included). But that doesn't really justify spending money for us to go see a movie. Heck, why am I questioning it? I should just enjoy myself.

And to be able to do that, I suppose I should get some sleep.

'Night all.

well, i hope you got some sleep by now.:D

i was busy getting the yard and house ready for my GF's son's graduation party. the whole thing is over now. he is just moving his last few possesions into our house as i write this. Very soon, my life will be back to some kind of normal.

i know what you mean about getting up early and staying up late. What my recent experiences in the yard have reinforced to me is that it is what you do in the hours in between that counts. your body seems to need a certain amount of activity each day. and it takes more hours for the mind to provide that activity than it does for the body. at least that's my latest theory;)

that, and when the mind is stimulated, it tends to want to work more. when the body gets stimulated it tends to wear down quicker.:p

Congrats nkuvu! :)

I agree with the rest here: You are a great person to have on the board. I actually have you on my buddy-list. I like your posts, and I learn a lot from them. Hope you stick aorund here in the future too. :)

Kris

Buddy list? What does that do? I'm flattered, honestly.

I've learned an amazing amount from these boards, so I don't plan on going anywhere. My roommate and I are moving in June, so there might be a few days where I am a little quieter (gasp!). But don't take that as any kind of abandonment...

My sleep schedule has been really strange recently. The night before last I went to bed at about midnight, then woke up at 6:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. Just *ping*, I'm awake. I got to work early, and looked forward to being early for the rest of the week. Today I woke up at 7:00 and could barely get my eyes open.

I should really get going. I'm lucky enough not to have set times when I go to work (I need to show up sometime in the morning, preferably before 9:30) but the sooner I go the earlier I can leave.

Buddy-lists doesn't do much really.. But I can click on your name and see the newest post you replied to. Perhaps you have posted something I want to reply to. :)

- How is it possible to post so many posts in such a short time?

Kris

It's simple. Read the boards daily, find something that you want to reply to, then press "Reply". ;)

Mostly it's due to the fact that I have a lot of waiting at my current job. As I mentioned, I run a lot of tests, which can take anywhere from 5-45 minutes. In that time I can't do much with my computer, except surf...

Okay, so here's my congrats thread, with no interesting conversations. So let's toss in some controversial words to stir things up:

- abortion
- capital punishment
- war
- politics
- animal rights
- small cute dogs who yak in your bed

Okay, so the last one might not be so controversial to everyone else. But when your dogs sleep under the covers with you, the last thing you want is for them to yak on you. Believe me, I know from personal experience. :p The controversial part is where I decide whether to let her stay in bed (after cleaning up, of course) or lock her out of the room for the night.

OK, so now that I've waited for a response, I guess I'll start talking to myself...

Hi Nkuvu, how are things?
Well, Nkuvu, we (that's me myself and I (and my roommate and our three dogs and the tortoise and the four goldfish) kind of "we") are moving in about a week.
That's exciting, Nkuvu. Why the move?
It's mostly so that my roommate can be closer to the University, but also because it's a nicer neighborhood and the house is a lot nicer.
Oh, I see. Does it matter to you where you live? Will you be closer to work or something?
No, I'll actually be further away, but I'm the one in the household who has the car.
Oh, look, the dogs just pulled all the covers off of her (her being the roommate, I don't have to specify which her to myself) bed, and made a little nest!
Self, that's off the subject
It's OK, no one was looking. ;)

See how uneventful this is? :)

I guess it's a good reflection of the fact that I have never been a good conversation starter. I mean, I've posted almost 1300 replies to date, and started less than ten of those...

So. Here I am again. It's pretty quiet in here. Too quiet, if you ask me. But that's OK, I can amuse myself for quite a long period of time.

Hi Nkuvu, how are things?
Well, Nkuvu, we (that's me myself and I...

:D

:p

well, you often end up amusing me. but i'm easy. in fact Easy Ed used to be one of my real world nicknames:D

until you explained, i thought you meant barking by yaking. I was going to bring up the dog next door and the dog at the house behind them that sit and bark and growl at each other icessently at times. they are most annoying. I like my neighbor, i like her dog, but i hate the barking. Sometimes when nobody else is around i yell over to the dog and call her by name and she stops. other times she just growls more. It really does interfere with the tranquility of my new pond:p

does having a cat hairball on the comforter count? we had one do that while they were all locked in our room for the party:eek:

so congrats on your move. hope the new place works out for you. moving into nicer is always good even if you have to figure out why at first. I remember not liking the house we moved to in Calif. when i was 12. eventually i came to really appreciate all the advantages it had. It just had different advantages than the one in Tenn. At first i hated that it was even in Calif.. then i realized that was the best advantage it had!!

ok, you continue to raise my curiosity, damn you. what were you doing where you could see the dog pull the covers off the roommate whom we know is a she? Are you really more than just roommates? or do you share a room with seperate beds and you are not a manly man after all? Or are you a manly woman? a womanly woman? a womanly man? :D or were you just chasing the dog into the roommates room to get her for the night? (the dog). or does the roommate sleep on the couch now and that is part of why you are moving?

so many possibilities:D :rolleyes:

as for animal rights - i have learned the animal is almost always right.

Maybe if you started a conversation on capital punishment for small cute dogs who yak in your bed? There is a controversial subject!

... actually, now that I think about it, that would fall under animal rights wouldn't it?

I would post in your thread more (in any thread more for that matter) if I hadn't been working so much over the last few weeks. Maybe we could get into the politics of capital punishment for small cute animals in a few days when I have more time. :D

:rolleyes:

Then again, maybe we could talk about something else.

or does the roommate sleep on the couch now and that is part of why you are moving?
Bingo. Give that man a cupie doll. :D Another note is that my roommate works as a veterinary technician in the emergency room at the local pet hospital. (Yes, it's really open 24 hours. People have a hard time figuring that one out ;) ) So she was working last night when the dogs were playing in her bed.

We used to live in Washington, as I am sure some of you (all two who posted in my thread last ;) ) are aware. In one of the places we lived, the neighbor's house had a deck that overlooked our back yard. Our dogs were outside, and being a little playful. OK, they were being unholy terrors, barking and cavorting and all the endearing things that dogs do. :p (Don't get me wrong, I love our dogs, they can just be a little much sometimes) Anyway, I went out to get them to quiet down and the neighbor was standing on the deck, screaming at the dogs. The dogs saw some stranger yelling at them in their yard, so of course they were barking more. The neighbor saw me and said "Your dogs have been barking for two hours! If you don't do something about your dogs, I will!" Keep in mind that the dogs had only been out for about twenty minutes. I was more than furious, that anyone would threaten our dogs, especially since they had a daschhund who would bark incessantly while they were gone all day. She came over about ten minutes later, trying to sound apologetic.

She complained about all sorts of things that were completely irrelevant ("Our house is so close to the property line, I don't know why this house was built so close to ours" -- well that's because when this house was built, there wasn't any other space for it. It's your own stupid fault for building on the property line when you have an acre-sized lot. And on and on). I told her that I really didn't appreciate threats to my dogs, and if she had a problem with the dogs yelling at them wouldn't do anyone any good. She was shocked that I thought she was threatening the dogs, and promised to come over if she had further problems. I silently promised to myself that I guess the whole idea of cleaning the yard by tossing excrement onto her deck would be a bad idea. ;)

Anyway, to make a long rant a little less long, if the dogs knows you I'm sure you can probably talk to her and get her to quiet down. If the problem continues, talk to the owner. They might not even be aware that their dog is "talking" to the neighbor. We've found that a squirt bottle works well for most dogs (unless they are water lovers ;) ). But I wouldn't squirt the neighbor dogs at all unless you talk to the neighbor first. So many people do weird and threatening stuff to dogs that it might be misconstrued. I have stories about that, too, but this post is long enough.

Chow chow! :)

now that i've cleared a little space for my wonderful new cupie doll...:D

yes, i know the dog pretty well. Her name is Lucy and she loves to come over and see me in the mornings or anytime she is lucky enough to be out front without a leash. She has another funny habit as well. If i am wearing a suit and tie, she attempts to jump all over me. If i am wearing anything else, she just circles around my feet and waits for me to pet her:p

I must admit i have had very few neighbors i have ever liked. But this neighborhood seems to have some pretty nice people. I would say that most of them are more or less like me in terms of attitudes about neighbors - not very outgoing, but very friendly once approached. pretty much live and let live philosophy. No wonder i have always felt more at home in beach/coastal communities.

It is sad that my best neighbor is moving back to Boston this summer because she is getting divorced:(

Yeah, I've never had much use for neighbors.

I'd like to live out in the middle of nowhere if I could telecommute in to work. And if I could make the yard safe for my little pooches. I've heard lots of stories of little dogs getting acquainted with the local coyotes, and not in a good way.

Another lovely thing in the desert is the number of poisonous little critters.... :rolleyes:

well, as far as neighbors go, we have lived here for 4 and a half years and i am just now starting to get to know more of them than just Lucy's owner and the one who is moving:D

and as for outdoor threats - i am sure you have heard me talk about the raccoons, skunks and feral cats in the neighborhood. What amazes me is how well they all get along. I have seen all three together around my garbage cans a few times. Occasionally i hear the sounds of a fight outside. almost always i smell skunk shortly afterwrds. In fact skunk smell is something i have become somewhat adjusted to. I barely notice it anymore.

I have been trying to figure out if i could make my backyard so the skunks and raccoons don't get in. I know it would take too much to keep the cats out but they are a minimal problem i think. I know that people 2 streets over raise chickens so there must be a way to do it. perhaps i should take a walk and see if they can tell me more. gee, there's a novel idea - leave my house and walk around my neighborhood:p

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
I have been trying to figure out if i could make my backyard so the skunks and raccoons don't get in. I know it would take too much to keep the cats out but they are a minimal problem i think.
Sure thing. Build a solid 10 foot wall out of sheet metal, and cut down any nearby trees. Make sure the wall goes down into the ground about 4 feet, also. You'll keep the skunks and raccoons out. Make it 20 feet tall and I'm pretty sure the cats won't be in there either. ;)
I know that people 2 streets over raise chickens so there must be a way to do it. perhaps i should take a walk and see if they can tell me more. gee, there's a novel idea - leave my house and walk around my neighborhood:p
Now you're talking about two different things. The two questions of "if it can be done" versus "how much will have to be done to make it work".

One of the few things that is nice about living near the city (which isn't a city in comparison to some others, Tucson is very spread out, so doesn't ever feel huge) is that there are very few wild critters roaming around in the garbage cans.

Ed done did say:
in fact Easy Ed used to be one of my real world nicknames
I won't go there if you don't. :D

And RacerX said:
Maybe if you started a conversation on capital punishment for small cute dogs who yak in your bed? There is a controversial subject!
It's not controversial if your idea of capital punishment is "NO!" :D See? Using capitals, punishing the dog... :rolleyes: *sigh* OK, I'll insert my own courtesy laugh here: Ha ha ha ha ha!

See? Isn't that better?

Wow, look at all the high posters. :rolleyes:

Some day I'll be a 1,00th poster as well, but you'll just have to wait.. I can only type so fast :D Congrats on your 1,000th post, nkuvu.

I still have my first post right here, and I laugh now that I look back on it..

Originally posted by ricky
I am seriously thinking about installing OS X on my iMac 333 MHz iMac w/ 160 megs of RAM. I am currently using 1.4 GB of space on my HD and I am going to partition it for OS X so that I ave a seperate partition for OS 9. I have a few questions...

-How big should I make my partitions?
-Does anyone know how this machine configuration would work in OS X? (slow?)
-Is OS 10.1 a free upgrade from 10? :D
-Are there any limitations (besides apps) with OS X?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. :cool:

-Ricky
I've never looked back, honestly.. :D

Originally posted by ricky
Some day I'll be a 1,00th poster as well, but you'll just have to wait.. I can only type so fast :D
You mean 1,000th poster? :) Don't worry about post counts, you'll get there soon enough. The important bit is the quality, as I am sure you already know...
Congrats on your 1,000th post, nkuvu.
Thanks.
I still have my first post right here, and I laugh now that I look back on it..
What's to laugh about? It doesn't seem to me like you said anything to regret, or asked a silly question. I mean, a lot of the members here know the answers to those questions, but when you posted it I am sure that few people knew.
I've never looked back, honestly.. :D
Weren't you just looking back when you quoted your first post? ;)

OK, so who remembers where their first post was? Mine was in a discussion of trackballs and mice and such, but I don't remember where...

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
It is sad that my best neighbor is moving back to Boston this summer because she is getting divorced:(
Blech. I don't think I'd ever move back to Boston. Lived there as a youngster. Icky weather. Real weather, not like Washington weather, but icky nonetheless.

Boston has real summers and real winters, Washington has perpetual gray and rain and cold temperatures (relatively speaking -- most people find Washington pretty moderate). Arizona has perpetual summers. Bliss!

I can sympathize with the divorce bit as well. I'm about to go through the same thing. My ex and I have been separated since November, and it's been a very amicable separation. More that we just don't love each other as spousal units than anything else. So we're still really good friends, and the divorce itself is just a formality. But the separation from someone you thought you'd be with for the rest of your life is very difficult.

I think I need to go get some more merry from the B&G... Then off to bed!

actually your first post was in this thread and it happened to follow one of my posts:D

I guess a hammer's out of the question, huh?

No, no, stop hitting me! It was a joke! I'm sorry!

:D

you were quite the great tech help i would say. :p

Back