Congrats to Nummi

Yes... I am a butt face. I did get my HD. 40GB. 7200 rpm. 4 partitions. I am happy :) Now I just need t spend a lot of money to fill them up.

Four partitions? Holy cats. What's all that used for?

I grew quickly disillusioned with partitioning single drives when I was dual-booting Yellowdog Linux and OS 8.6 on my iMac. Something about YDL hosed my HFS+ partition. I had to zero my hard drive. Now that's an unpleasant experience.:rolleyes: I like multiple big hard drives with single partitions. :)

I don't know, to be honest. All I know is, my iMac 233 is very very slow (but it's only got a 4 GB HDD)--so that doesn't provide any information. My PC, on the other hand, has a few hard drives, one of them being 40 GB. It seems pretty fast. Without really knowing anything about it, I can't imagine that there would be a noticeable difference. Does anyone else have any input?

well... I thought since the HD does not have to search over a large amount of space... it would find things faster.

I just read up on it a bit. Apparently (according to one source--if it's on the Internet, it must be true, right? :p--"if television said it, it must be true") having your system and applications in a partition located on the outer edge of the disc will improve access times, and thus speed it up. Another source said that putting applications in an outer partition doesn't really improve speed (at least launch time). What's the moral of the story? I guess the advantage of multiple partitions comes in putting the appropriate files in appropriate areas of the disk.

We don't really, or um, most of us don't. It just something we happen to notice every once in a while when somebody hits a big number, namely 1000.

Originally posted by gdanko
Hmm why do people on the boards care about the number of posts??

I did not want a congrats thread. I asked people not to make one. but they did anyway. butt faces.

Hey hey hey, there's only one member of this board who has a "butt face" thread devoted to him. ;) :p

Hey, who you calling a butt face?:eek:

;) :p

(ok, guilty as charged - but i still think your transformation deserves to be acknowledged and celebrated. us old farts can be such a pain, can't we?)

Back