Congratulations! You just recoved 15 GB of Space!--Cloning?

Doctor X

Registered
This is both an observation and a question. Mayhaps it not belongs here.

Boring Prologue:

Sometimes we accumulate crap on our Int-HD. I have Ex-HD to take this crap and save this crap--pictures, all of those videos of Your Mom, et cetera. I run Cocktail--which I got long ago--and occasionally Onyx to clean crap.

I noticed a progressive loss of HD space. My Int-HD is ~300 GB with a TechTools Pro [TT--Ed.] partition. Creating a little video, downloading this and that, I went down to ~145 GB free.

To save space, I keep a lot of my video clips on the Ex-HD, run the Adobe off my Int-HD and save the work on the Ex-HD to save space.

I noticed, however, despite saving everything on my Ex-HD, my Int-HD dropped another ~2 Gigs.

Hmmm, methinks, time to investigate.

So I use WhatSize? to investigate, and I find the usual stuff--My Crap. I do notice Adobe has about 5 GB in "cache."

Cache? Have I been accumulating a cache I am not dumping?

Fortunately, I heed the advice I now give to back up the Int-HD before I start frelling with it. Nothing like removing random "big" folders titled "Do Not Remove This Fool!" to destroy your OS and having DiskWarrior return with the message, "you are an idiot!" after 5 hours of scanning!

This I do. I then dump the "cache" which is a list of film clips which I already have on my Ex-HD and work off of.

Now I have about 148 GB and a happy :)

So What is the Big Deal?

Some of you may know the answer: Adobe ceased working. The "cache" was "rendered" files, and now, the clips do not work. Even though the clips are "there" in the Ex-HD, the Adobe not only does not work, it tells me I am expired and shuts down.

Clone to the rescue! Go from my Backup I made barely an hour before, back to the Int-HD . . . restart . . .

. . .

. . .

. . . wait for it . . .

I have now recovered ~18 GB! I now have ~160 GB free?

Everything works--Adobe works--all of the "cached" files rendered are back where they should be. I have poked around and cannot find anything missing, of course.

"So Your Question is What, Stupid?"

Is this a normal occurrence? Does occasionally rebuilding your primary drive based off of a back up--that "Smart Updates" in that it updates the changes you have made each time--free up space? That much free space?

Now, had I had any expectation, I would have copied the "What" of WhatSize? before and after to discover "what" went "poof." Should I notice this again, I will do that to try to answer my question, but perhaps this is something "people do" periodically?

--J.D.

You did not mention what app you used to make the cloned backup, but I know from experience that when I use SuperDuper, it does not copy (clone) a lot of unneeded fluff, caches, tmp files etc.
So the clone does end up smaller.
I presume other backup software might behave this way also.

Aw crap! You are absolutely correct, I forgot to specify that it is SuperDuper!.

So . . . how does one normally remove said "fluff?" I use Cocktail and Onyx. If it is as simple as periodically going from "clone-to-clone," fine.

--J.D.

Back