Connect from a PC to 10.2? How?

antonioconte

Registered
Ok, I'm really getting confused now - I have Windows installed on a laptop here, on a network and a powerbook Ti running 10.2 - I don't use PC's very often at all and am getting really lost trying to swap files from one to the other.
When I try and connect from the mac, it see's the PC WORKGROUP, try and connect - and I get an error 5023! so I though maybe I should connect from the PC, but I'm lost completely.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The two easiest ways are:

Enable ftp on the OS X box, then use an FTP client to connect to the mac from the pc ...

Or: you can share a drive on the windows box, then connect to it from your os x box - just Go -> Connect to Server (Command - K) Then enter the smb URL of the share you just created: smb://<machine name>/<share name>
you'll then be prompted for credentials - and hey presto, there it is - accessible almost the same as any other drive on your machine. Just remember to eject the drive before you disconnect from the NW :) And you will find .DStore (or something like that) files on your windows box afterwards ... (or at least, you do in 10.1.5 - not sure whether that's been fixed in 10.2 yet - I'm still saving to afford that :))

Anyway, best of luck, and post here if you need clarification on any of those points :)

Cheers,

C

Hi there, thanks for that but I get an error 5023 after the credentials page. What am I doing wrong? I'm not very good with PC's so maybe there's something on their not set right?

TIA

:(

What is a smb URL? How do you share a drive on a windows box? Is this kind of thing documented anywhere on the net? I can't seem to find anything.

calliex

At least in Windows 2000, I know that you can share a folder by right-clicking it, and choosing "Sharing..."

This brings up a window that lets you set share permissions, etc.

Download the SAMBA package onto your mac, you can also download the Samba Sharing Preference Pane - from the MacOSX site. A GUI front end to the services, its easy and works for me.

You can share from your Mac quite happily, yo can even become a Primary Domain Controller for a Widows LAN, or whatever cimputer terminology PC people have knicked and then used incorrectly.

If you move into an envrionment where UNIX (Sun, SGI, IBM, Linux etc) and PCs live, you will see Samba as a standard install on the NFS servers also, so that data is freely accessible from both UNIX/MacOSX and PCs.

SMB is a protocol that I believe M$ came up with. It enables you to share resources over a network. Amongst other things, this will include folders and printers. Mac OS X is pre-equiped with a client that can talk this protocol - the SAMBA client. SAMBA is a reverse-engineered protocol adaptor for SMB. You only have to install the SAMBA package if you actually want to share stuff on your Mac OS X box. If you only want to connect to shared windows resources, then the pre-installed stuff will work just fine.

You *may* find SAMBA pre-installed on UNIX networks. BUT SAMBA is inherently insecure in some ways - for example the last time I checked, the password was sent over the network unencrypted. For this reason many admins choose not to install SAMBA on their UNIX machines.
NFS is the Network File System. This is the primary means for UNIX machines to share their drives/folders on a network. It runs over the Sun RPC protocol. Some consider this to be too insecure also (but you can also argue that simply networking your machine is insecure :)). I wouldn't recommend trying to set up NFS shares unless you are willing to invest a bit of time learning about UNIX-type-stuff :) (It is actually quite easy - but non-UNIX ppl tend to have their difficulties with it ...)

RIGHT. As to the 5023 Error - I have *no* idea what that could mean. Unfortunately many programmers forget that users can't figure out what a numeric code is supposed to mean :) ... however, I've found that often when you are presented with a mere error code, it means that something quite nasty has happened and you should contact support about that.

Things you should check:
Make sure that the two computers can see each other. I.e. ping them (you can do a ping on the windows box from the command line. From the Mac OS X box, you can either use the terminal.app or you can use the network utility which is under Applications / Utilities)
Make sure the windows folder you want to access is shared. The best thing would be to check from another windows box whether you can access it from there (has one of your colleagues got a machine you could check from? If not, you'll just have to believe the windows box what it tells you - the previous poster was correct - just open an Explorer window and right-click - you can then check under sharing that you have a) actually shared it and b) given the various ppl / groups the relevant access privileges)
Check that you have got the SMB URL correct. It *has* to be in the form I described in my first post: smb://<machine name>/<share name>
It is very important to include the share name - if you only have the machine name, it won't work!

If all of this fails, it may be worth going for the FTP option instead - System Preferences -> Sharing -> Allow FTP Access. Then simply log on via an FTP client to your Mac OS X box with your UID/PWD and get/put the files you want.

Another option is to use 'secure copy' or scp. To use this, you have to enable remote login on your Mac OS X machine and then obtain an SSH client for you windows box. There are several out there - just Google for one (personally, I have Cygwin installed on all of the Windows machines I use, and there's OpenSSH in there!) Then you can simply do:
scp <my local file> <user name>@<machine name>:<remote file>
to copy a local file to the remote machine. You will be prompted to the password before it performs the copy. You can also swap local file and the remote URL in order to download a file from the remote machine.
Example:
scp my_file.txt LordCoven@my.linux.box:/home/bob/tmp
This would copy the file 'my_file.txt' from the local directory to a remote machine called 'my.linux.box'. The scp program will attempt to log you on to the remote machine as the user LordCoven and will attempt to copy the file to the directory /home/bob/tmp (if that directory exists - otherwise it would attempt to create a file called tmp in the directory /home/bob) ... of course, the user you log in as has to have the relevant privileges on the remote machine.

Right - I think that's just about enough for one day - don't you???

If you still have no luck - well - I don't think there's anything more I can add :) Soz.

Anyway - best of luck with all that! :)

C

SMB or Service Message Block. Passwords can be encrupted, but strangely only on upper case. We found this out by snooping packets on a large network of PCs some 10 years ago during a security audit. Mixed case went "clear text" and as such the server would not recognize the password, thinking it was the encrypted password. We used both SYNTAX (commercial) and SAMBA side by side on IBM and SUN machines for assessement, they both had sad quirks with passwords at the time.

SMB is still used by PCs and as such its easier to deal with. SAMBA has been going for ten+ years and is used a great deal, i.e. Oil & Gas, Biotechnology, Universities and so on, so admins do install it. Ok its not C2 security, neither is FTP, RPC (Remote Procedure Calls which NFS uses), RCP isn't either.

What I would say is this regarding security, foget it, let somebody who is qualified or who's job it is to protect your networks onsite (he/she may not let you to do it, but at home your the boss).

To illustrate how sad some security types get, we had Price WaterHouse come and do a security audit at SHELL (cost a fortune and for what), all they suggested was to disconnect everything, i.e. no NFS, no R commands, no RCP, no FTP, i.e. standalone.....useless if you want to get any work done.

What we did was to install Kerberos and AFS+Kerberos, which encrypts everything on the net, not just passwords, which cost another fortune in time and money to get going.

If you are at work and you really need security then seek out your local Network or systems guys and see what they let you do, if at home just fire up shares on your PC or install Samba on your Mac

Originally posted by LordCoven
The two easiest ways are:

Enable ftp on the OS X box, then use an FTP client to connect to the mac from the pc ...

Thats the way I do it! :D

hypocampers,

Yup - know what you mean about the security guys going OTT on the paranoia front sometimes. Still - can't blame them - when you see the sheer volume of advisories they have to plough through on a daily basis its going to have some negative effects on your general disposition :) :) :)

I haven't seen SAMBA installed on a UNIX machine in the last few companies I've worked for (BMW being the current one, previously Rubus in the UK - the other ones ppl probably won't have heard of) ... but both used NFS. Its up to the local admins what they want to put on.
Personally, I think that within the intranet you should be OK, as long as you've got your firewalls set up alright.

Thanks for filling in on the TLAs :) Couldn't remember what half of them stand for anymore (and couldn't be bothered looking them up at the time :) )

Cheers,

C

I think SAMBA gets installed , depending on requirements from users, for some it makes day to day sense and other too much to administer for the good it does them.

Take the Oil industry, 95% of the Exploration and Resevoir management gets doen on UNIX machines (usually SUN, SGI and too a smaller extent IBM). Because the vendors of the software grow their software portfoliios by acquiring smaller companies with usefull packages and then bolt them into their environments, the latter usually means that auxilliary packages turn up on PCs. Getting processed files from the UNIX account, into PC become obligatory, doing if from the PC without any change in the way files get around, with respect to PC usage, is also obligatory.

We have around 4 TerraBytes of data which gets worked on, processed files get written to the usrs home directorie under UNIX, these directories are exported and attached automatically to a drive on their PC using SMB protocol. The user is almost unaware of where that UNIX is involved, you are off course then under UNIX filesystem protection.

NFS is running quite happily at the time for the UNIX workstations for access to the same data areas.

The SUN E5500/4500 surpasses the PC file server, in terms of performance, by orders of magnitude. At this point one looks at the SMB solution, their are comercial ones which cost lots per year, or use a free one.

Most people would go with the comercial one ( better assistance, someone to blame etc) , most IT managers though will choose the free one because they are not usually Systems managers but money managers. So we get stuck dealing with the cheap solution in an Enterprize environment. The "Toadstool" syndrome.

I get the CERT advisories and its very usefull, but I would say that most of the attacks etc are aimed at the MicroSoft platform (are usually virus related) and we have said, if the firewalls are managed properly, usually multiple due to the companies ISP, then the networks should be "mostly safe".

Interestingly, ArtherAnderson, some years ago stated that theft of data etc, was done from behind the firewall using low tech means and then walk out the door with it.

When are we going to be allowed to work from the beach, we can do it but its those "managers" again.

One other thing to remember concerning networks and SMB (not SAMBA), is that its broadcast technology, packets have to transmitted every bit of wire, making then network less efficient..

Cheers

Rob

P.S. LordCoven do you work in the UK at the moment. I work in Aberdeen Scotland, I am not enjoying it much as the market has dried up completely.

hypocampers,

Just over a year ago I was living and working in the North of England (living near York, working in Leeds) - but then that dried up completely ... so it was either Munich or London (Munich, because my parents moved out there in 1980, so I was actually brought up bi-lingual and it has a good IT market, and London because it seemed like that was the only place left in the UK where you could get good contracting jobs in the IT market ... when I say London, I'm including all of the surrounding places too - like Surrey)
... now, seeing as I have a pathalogical hatred of London, I chose Munich - haven't regretted it since. My then-girlfriend-now-wife moved out here with me and is also loving it: its just a much nicer place to live than the UK right now.

Anyway, I really hope things pick up in Aberdeen! Its a real bummer having to work away from home, and a lot of stress having to relocate! (or at least, I think so - I was lucky coz I had the help of my parents when I moved out here ...)

Cheers,

C

hypocampers
Can you provide some links on where to get the samba package a prefs pane you mentioned?

I can't find them anywhere on the apple site.

Thanks

Originally posted by LordCoven
RIGHT. As to the 5023 Error - I have *no* idea what that could mean. Unfortunately many programmers forget that users can't figure out what a numeric code is supposed to mean :) ... however, I've found that often when you are presented with a mere error code, it means that something quite nasty has happened and you should contact support about that.

This is an Error Code List, it's 70 pages full of codes and tranlations. Though, 5023 isn't there. Well, see for yourself.

Attachments

• error list.txt
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
Open the Sharing preference pane and click on "Windows sharing". Below the list you can see the address that PC users should use to connect to your Mac (usually "\\IP-address\your short user name". Piece of cake.

Thats only if you've got 10.2 , and as far as I can tell is personnal sharing. If you all you want is personnal file sharing then that's fine, but if you want more then you can download the server version.

You can do a lot more that just file serving with SAMBA, apparenlt you can act as the PDC (Primary Domain Controller) and have LDAP handle all sort s of user access to directories, even on other servers. All gets rather interesting, I am in the process of networking the garage, which will contain a PC running version of xyx.123kmp of MicroSoft, so I can test this stuff out and get a job.

I installed the SAMBA server on my G4 running 10.2. Everything seems to be fine but when I connect from XP to OSX it doesn't show any folders as shared.

I went through the whole procedure in the read me setting up a new user called samba and deleting certain entries in Net Info but it didn't change anything.

When I connect from XP, OSX doesn't request a user name or password it just opens a blank window.

I have no idea what I am doing here. I am not a networking expert. I know there are other alternatives to using SAMBA such as ftp but I am trying to make my machine friendly to other neophyte windows users on my network.

Hmm, when we first started using Windows 2000 we had problems, I'll have to try and dig up what it was we did, may have been bug fixes.

We for some reason or another couldn't rename folders, Windows 95/98 no problem, however we were able to copy the folder locally, rename it and the copy it back. Yes I know it was a waste of time, but we were trying to track down were the problem actually lay.

I don't have XP at home or at work, just lowley W2K. Will get back

Back