Connect iBook to G4

pbmac

MacTV is your friend
I want to connect my iBook to my G4.
I want to use both of my computers at the same time.
I want to have the G4's HD mount on my iBook and vice versa.
I'm using OS X on both machines.
I have a ethernet cable and a firewire cable.

So, how best do I connect them?

- thanks!!

- matthias

The most straightforward way, IMO, would be to attach the Macs together using Ethernet, and then mount the G4's drive as a network drive on the iBook, and vice versa, using the "Connect to Server..." command in the Go menu of the Finder.

If you need a more elaborate answer, feel free to ask for more information.

I agree with shatfield. I've connected my current laptop with my old clamshell effortlessly this way. The Mac help actually does help in this instance in guiding you through the procedure.
There are a few alternatives. If you have Airport cards on both, you can connect wirelessly, though any transmission files go at the speed of the AirPort, and you can't connect both Macs to an external hard drive/iPod this way.
And if you have bluetooth on both, you can connect via bluetooth, but you have the same limitations via bt as you do via Airport.
But if yu're just doing a sync or simple tasks that need a network, those are viable options to consider, though I'd still recommend ethernet as the primary option.

Simply connect the Ethernet ports with a CAT5 cable on both computers for a small network. If you want to share an Internet connection, you need to plug your modem (of whatever kind) into a router and route the computers into that. Same with adding another computer, minus the modem in that case.

. If you want to share an Internet connection, you need to plug your modem (of whatever kind) into a router and route the computers into that.
Unless you have AirPort cards again. And I think it would be about as fast a dial-up, but if the iBook was AirPort-equipped and you had bluetooth adapters for both, you could pair the G4 up via bt and surf off the iBook's Internet connection. But it wouldn't be very fast.
It probably sounds as if I'm pro AirPort (which I do admit that I love), but the wireless network options works well at home, especially if you are also using an iBook as you don't lose any portability or have everything connected to wires.
Depending on signal strength, you could even move the iBook to a different room and maintain the system connection.

The other option, of course, is Firewire Disk Mode, but that incapacitates one of your computers, presumably the iBook.

Back