Connect to server fails

welsbywrites

Registered
New Mac, updated to 10.5.5. I've bought LaCie Ethernet disk mini - 1Tb drive w 10/100/Gbit and USB - which is plugged in to my 10/100 network so that I can share it between 2-3 Macs.

LaCie IPConfigurator used DHCP to assign IP address and then took me to drive "front end" (browser based) to create shares, user etc. Shares set up as All types, ie Windows / Apple / HTTP / FTP. I'm no expert, so thought All the best choice. Everything shows OK in the status page, so Logout.

Restart, and use Finder/Go/Connect to Server, which shows up afp://192.168.07. But when I try to collect that, I get a message: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in afp://192.168.07 could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

Tried 2-3 times to connect, no joy. Ran configurator again, deleted shares and user, created new, still no good. GO sees the IP address, but then gives same error message.

HELP! I need to put 300G of photos and artwork on the drive for a big project, so it is all accessible in one place.

It's trying to use afp...

change it to use smb.
smb://192.168.07/sharename

or in Terminal (if that fails),
smbclient://192.168.07/sharename -W workgroupname -U username
where replace all names with the correct ones.

Open Console when you do the above. If Finder fails with smb, Console shows more info on why than Finder does.
And if Finder fails, Terminal often works...
Make sure there are no "-" in the sharename - a limitation that is only in Finder and that's since Mac OS X was born (Terminal always works) - more on this and the syntax on http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1568

Back