connecting 15" Mac Book Pro with 20" Cinema Display

Anaben

Registered
I would like to connect my 15" Mac Book Pro (from 2010, with 2,53Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X Version 10.6.8) with an old 20" Cinema Display from 2005 with the Model Number A1081.
The cable from the screen branches in four cables; the power cable, firewire, USB and DVI. I googled a bit and found out that I dont need to connect the firewire cable and that I need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, so I got one, but so far it doesnt work.

Do I need to connect all four cables or only the power and the DVI? What do I have to do to make it work?

Thanks for your help!!

Are you sure the display works?
If the power light, on the right end of the display on the power button, is blinking continually, or doesn't come on at all, then the display likely doesn't work.
In that case, the white power supply brick might be bad, or the electronics inside the display may be dead.
Make sure the power brick is the correct one for the display. IIRC, it's a 65 watt version for the 20-inch.
Can you try it on another computer? Maybe it's simply dead.

I'm pretty sure the display works fine, it's my dad's old one, he has been using it until recently.
It is true though, the power light is blinking continually, but only if the USB is plugged in. If USB is not plugged in I see simply nothing, black screen and no power light. The Power is the right one, the 65 W one.

Anyone else has an idea?

"I'm pretty sure the display works" ?
Right now - you only know that it "used to work"
There's only one way to check that it really does work...
Test the display on a different computer.

Did you get an answer? I just did this because I had to ship off my other display for repair. All you need for the firewire is a 800 to 400 adapter if your macbook pro has a firewire (I don't know, mine is 2009). You have all the other bits. Did you reboot to make sure the computer saw the display? I found I had to open the computer, go to displays at the top and select "mirror" then change to the cinema display in order to close the lid and use the cinema display. If you seriously are looking for one, send me a note. I might be willing to part with mine (and I have the original box and instructions too!) :cool:

Back