Connecting a Mac to a Windows workgroup

noTORIous11

Registered
I have a Windows workgroup of mixed Windows XP and '98. Its a network using TCP/IP.

Windows '98 PC is connected to a cable modem and access is shared using ICS. This works fine for the Windows clients and acts as a DHCP server.

I want to use this to connect my iBook G3 using the hardwire ethernet card. I am running Mac OS X 10.1.5 and im a newbie to Mac. Can somebody give me a dummies guide please ?!

Thanks

All you need to do is go to System Preferences (located in the Applications folder) and click on Network. Select your Ethernet connection and set it to DHCP.

BTW, are you also providing DNS information from the DHCP server? If not, then you're going to have to manually input them on the Mac.

As for 10.1.5, I would recommend purchasing a copy of Panther at the very least. You're going to need about 512 MB to make it a pleasant experience on a G3 iBook. Also, most apps you'll find on the Internet have made the cutoff at 10.2, since that version was really the one that was "ready for prime time." 10.1.5 was better than 10.0.x, but 10.2 and up were a major improvement over earlier versions of OS X.

Check the following link for good prices on OS X if you're still interested in purchasing:

http://www.macsales.com

Thanks for info - i will look into updating !

I followed what you said and it comes up with the error message - No file services are available at the URL smb:// etc

Any ideas ?

OK, wait..my brain is starting to ACTUALLY function now... :rolleyes:

What you want to do is get out to the Internet from the Mac through the WIndows 98 PC. What you have to do is enter the internal IP address of the Windows PC that's sharing the connection into the Gateway section of the TCP/IP settings for the Mac. If you're running DHCP, then there should be a way to include this in the DHCP configuration of the DHCP server. If not, then you have to enter it manually.

The SMB is only if you want to share files with the PC. If so, then you have to enable File and Print Sharing on the Windows PC and share out a folder.

Yeah that was one of the 1st things i tried. I tried the IP addresses of all of the PC's in the workgroup.

I don't even get as far as entering a password !!

What you want to do is get out to the Internet from the Mac through the WIndows 98 PC. What you have to do is enter the internal IP address of the Windows PC that's sharing the connection into the Gateway section of the TCP/IP settings for the Mac. If you're running DHCP, then there should be a way to include this in the DHCP configuration of the DHCP server. If not, then you have to enter it manually.

Ok - done that and guess what --- the error still comes up ! :confused:

When you open up a browser, are you able to get out to the Internet? If so, then the Mac is working fine for Internet.

For accessing the PC's file shares, did you enable File and Print sharing in the Network Neighborhood properties and then share a folder by going to the the properties for that folder you want to share?

The "smb://" command is only if you're trying to access a shared folder on the PC, not for getting out to the Internet.

I cant get out to the internet - the way its set up in my house is that you have to be part of the network to access the net !

File sharing is enabled because the pc im trying to connect to is the main pc in the network.

OK, if you have this Mac connected to the hub/switch on your network, and you've done the following on your Mac:
1. configured the TCP/IP settings for the Ethernet on the Mac
2. included the ISP's DNS nameserver IP addresses in the Nameserver space
3. included the IP of your Windows computer using ICS in the Gateway space

Then the Mac should theoretically be able to get out to the Internet.

Back