Connecting a mac to TV....?

Incubated Funk

Registered
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever connected their mac to their home TV so what you would see on your monitor, you can see on the TV screen?

If so what do you need in order to do it? Cables, spec etc...

Best regards
Tom

Hm. Depends on what video connectors your graphics card offers. On the PowerBook, I have a secondary video connector (DVI) to which I connect Apple's DVI-VGA converter to connect to my video beamer with a VGA cable. Now... Your TV-Set might or might not have a connector for computers (VGA, DVI, HDMI...). Tell us what your TV-Set offers and whether you have a free video-port on the back of your G5...

My TV just has 2 scart sockets. On the back of the G5 i have 2 monitor dvi outputs. I use both for a dual monitor setup but i dont mind getting a splitter or simply unplugging one as and when...

Graphics Card:

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV350
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A13601-126

You might be able to buy a DVI-RGB (3 cinch cables, red, white and yellow) and an RGB-Scart cable or something. Maybe there _is_ a direct DVI-Scart solution, but I wouldn't know of it. Basically, you simply won't get a _perfect_ picture, but it sure is enough for basic use (watching slideshows, movies etc.), just don't expect to work with 1600*1200 or anything, because the TV's resolution is much lower, and you won't connect digitally, i.e. the computer's picture won't _exactly_ match the TV's resolution.

Cheers for the info.

I found a DVI to Video cable on the apple site for £15 and from there i can go through a video-s cable into a scart converter...

Fingers crossed!

i've done it using an s-video cable. once plugged in, you have to go to displays under system preferences and click 'detect displays.'

Back