Connecting from Windows 2000 machine

pawright24

Registered
I have a IBM Thinkpad at work which I bring home from time to time. I want to connect it to my local home network which works with a Linksys router and a cable modem. I can connect to internet fine, but I can not connect from the IBM to the Mac. I can connect the Mac to the IBM. I have set up Windows file sharing and added a user with priviledge to login. What do I need to do to connect from the Windows system to the Mac?

If you are running OSX on your Mac you should be able to see your Mac Machine in your Network neighbourhood

If you are running Mac OS9 or earlier than you may need to install a software such as PCMaclan on your PC NoteBook

hope this helps

I have the same problem... in my house I have a total of 4 computers linked up (two wired, two wireless) (3 PCs and 1 Mac). The PCs all recognize each other but doens't see the Mac. But the Mac sees all of the PC's and can access into them. How do you access the Mac from the PC's????

First, if you want to share parts of your MacOSX, I highly recommend SharePoints. MacOSX only allows remote login and the shared folder. If you want to share a "music" folder, for example, SharePoints will help you do it.

If you are on a network with XP, and it is having trouble finding you, try typing in your IP address into a browser window (ie "\\192.168.1.101\"). This should open a window with all your shared folders visible. If that works, then you can also go into the Network folder, add a Network Connection, then type in your IP address and the folder that you want to access (\\192.168.1.101\folder\).

Your IP address can be located in System Preferences - Sharing. At the bottom it says something like, "Remote users can access your computer at \\192.168.1.101"

I'm still trying to figure out how to network 2000 with MacOSX. I can see my computer, but when I try to log in it only prompts for a password instead of a user name and password. Any help on that would be appreciated. Preferably without downloading third party software.

Back