Connecting MacOSX with MacOS8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiejoepopcorn

Registered
I acquired a PowerPC 5260 running OS 8.1 in order to transfer files from some old low-density floppies to hard disk. Now I need to transfer the files to my G4 using an ethernet cable (the PowerPC has an ethernet card). The cable connection checks out OK, but I can't get them to talk to each other.

First, I tried making an ethernet connection, but theh G4 doesn't see the PowerPC. Then I tried activating AppleTalk on both machines, and they see each other all right, but the G4 complains that the PowerPC is running an incompatible apple file protocol. I get the same result when running OS9.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

there really is no way unless you take out the powerpc's hardrive and put it in an external drive and then hook it up to the g4.

8.1 works for me (old powerbook).

In Chooser, you enter the "server IP address" to force OS 8 to connect using TCP/IP AFP.
Appletalk AFP isn't supported by OS X 10.4. So, in Chooser you see the OS X computer (appletalk "discovery" works), but clicking on the file server and trying to connect will fail.

Caveat - what I've explained above was true for 10.4.0-10.4.8. In 10.4.9, Apple screwed up AFP. In 10.4.10, they've changed AFP again, and I was just able to connect using appletalk from OS 8. Go Figure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back