Connecting Newton 2000 with OS X

lupowolf

Registered
I would love to start using my Newton 2000 again -- I HATE the Palm!! -- but I don't know the best way to connect it, both physically and software-wise.

What software can/should I use? What's the best way to connect it? I asasume I'll need and serial-to-USB adapter, but after that I'm lost.

Thanks for any help or advice!

-- lupowolf

:D

If you can get a supported network card then that is without a doubt the best way to connect to your mac. it can run either through the computer directly or through a router/hub. Go to newtontalk.net and search for the list on supported cards. I got my card off of ebay for about $15.00 (3com3C589C) and it works perfectly through my router. There is also a wireless solution that is availible. I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it works pretty good also.

Doesis work through OS X? I'm trying to find a way to get my notes, etc. to ,y Cube from the Newton. I guess it's just Newton Connection utilities through Classic mode, yes>

Thanks!

:D

Yes, it does... but only through classic. You still have to use Newton Connection Utilities (NCU). There are a few newton developers that are working on a OSX only solution, but it isn't there yet. The only utilities that have been written for OSX are package installers as far as I know.

So you can't connect them with a serial to USB adapter?
You can't just browse it in the Finder? How about the terminal?
Can't I do anything without OS 9 or a new card?

there is a product called "NewTen" that will allow you to install packages under OSX, and it will work with a few USB adapters, but your data dosen't show up in finder- it doesn't mount the Newton as a HD or other device. This is from the last time I checked into this (it's been a few months). You might want to check the FAQ's at Newtontalk.net. The last time I browsed their messages, they were talking about trying to write a conduit to use iSync when it comes out- hope that pans out.

Back