Connecting remote printer

yandso

Registered
I am at a school, we have several classrooms where the teacher is sharing a usb printer out. I want the student to print to the teacher printer. I don't want the child to have to choose the printer. I want to write a script to delete any exsisting printers and set the current printer for them. I am a newbie to the scripting and am not having much luck with lpadmin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds like such a bad idea. It is one thing to setup a computer lab with access to a centralized printer. It sounds like these computers are not dedicated to one particular teacher's class. With the administrative headaches created by deleting and reinstalling printers implied by your request, I don't see how this is workable.

Perhaps, you need to better describe the the present setup and the challenge that it creates. We can suggest a strategy that solves more problems than it creates.

I must not have been very clear, sorry.

I will explain it as just one classroom.

I have a total of 8 computers in the classroom, the teachers computer and 7 student computers. These are all in the same room all the time. The business office has purchased 1 USB printer for each teacher. Now my job is to get the students printing to it. I have already shared the printer out on the Teacher computer and now just need to add it to every child computer. I was envisioning using a computer list in workgroup manager to run a logon script. Since we are using network homes when each student logs in the printer that they may have used in the Library or elsewhere may be remembered. So I wanted to delete any exsisting printers and add the correct printer for that room. I would love to be able to use the computer list to manage which printer they use, however since it is a shared printer it does not show up as an option. I hope that is a little better description.

Back