Connecting to a Server

mcneillJohnW

Registered
I need to connect a computer at one school to a computer at another school. I have the IP address and account. When I use the Go/Connect to Server menu, I type afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (using the ipaddress) and get a time out error after 120 seconds.

If I am at that school, I can find the computer and log on fine from another computer.

We're both on the same subdomain (163.248.xxx.xxx)

Any Ideas?

AppleShare (i.e. afp) is not routeable. You must use Server Message Block to connect. Try "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and it should work for you.

-Kirk

AppleTalk is a routable protocol. However, if the router does not support AppleTalk routing, it won't route it. NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol. AppleTalk, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, DECNet are all examples of routed protocols.

From Cisco's site, here's a link that shows that the protocol is dependent on the support from the router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...oducts_tech_note09186a008014741c.shtml#topic2

EDIT:

OK, the link is regarding the Catalyst 4000 switch, but in the link it mentions that Cisco's IOS has AppleTalk routing support, which is also used on their routers. The support has been there even with the 2500 series routers, which has been the first seriies I've had experience with personally. As for other brand routers, I don't know yet.

I stand corrected. My experience has been secondary at best with higher-end routers such as the Cisco 2500s or 4000 line. We use 2600s at work and I can say from experience that AppleTalk is not routing through those. Perhaps because it isn't configured properly by the network team, but then again 99.5% of the PCs in the company are Windows based, so no need for AppleTalk I guess...too bad I don't have admin rights to that 2600..LOL. And yes, I again stand corrected that AFP is AppleTalk File Protocol not AppleShare. I just had AppleShare on the brain dealing with an old AppleShare IP server that I'm in the process of replacing.

For John's issue I would have to assume that whatever routers are in place at your school, they do not or are not configured properly to route the AppleTalk protocol.

Back