connecting to an ms wireless network from mac

lilaccruiser

Registered
i have a lovely new mac mini with an airport extreme card

fresh out of the box it found my home wireless network which is on a pc running xp home and connected beautifully to the internet

however, filesharing is a no-no - if i go into finder/network, my mshome network is there, as, when i click on my network in finder, is a shortcut with the name of my pc on it

however, if i click on this shortcut to my pc, it tells me that it can't find the original

i can't find my mac at all from my pc

i've enabled windows filesharing, any other ideas?

From my ibook, getting file sharing both ways was relatively easy, just following the obvious routes and messing about. However, Mac OS X 10.3.6 screwed up my printer sharing and stopped me detecting my PC's printer, this was resolved by 10.3.7, so I suppose it could be a similar bug.

I suggest you follow the procedure without any firewalls on either computer and see if you can get results. If you can connect to the shared folders on your PC, I don't see why you couldn't work it the other way, although tbh, windows takes some working to do it, typing in your macs address and so on.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

my mac was connecting to the wrong ip address

the solution, check what ip addresses my windows box has - go into the cmd prompt and type "ipconfig/all" then select the ip address for my windows box in the wireless network section

then on the mac choose connect to server in finder, type the ip address, then select the shareddocs option

cool!

Back