Connecting to iCAL Server Remotely

crowncanada.ca

Registered
Hi All,

I'm running iCAL Server in our small office of 1 Intel Mac and 1 Macbook Pro both networked to a MacPro Server running OSX 10.5.8. All works fine as both have iCAL set up as CalDAV accounts.

I'm trying to access our server remotely from home with the same Macbook Pro running 10.5.8 but it does not. Searches for the server and times out. Same time out results on another Intel mac running 10.5.8.

This should be possible isn't it? I can access the server via VPN to retrieve and save files etc.

What am I missing to connect to access the calendar on our server?

Thanks.

Are ports 8008 and 8443 reachable on that server when you are home?
Those ports are used by iCal Server - if the ports are blocked from external, the connection may time out.

The account URL is configured to access 8443 and that works at the office. I assumed it would @ home too. I tried changing to 8008, didn't work. As you suggest, I wonder if those ports are not configured to allow external access? I'm not strong in server OSX, where would I check for external access and change if needed?

On the firewall - depending on where it is. If the Mac Pro is connected directly to the network (probably isn't), it may be configured on the server itself, otherwise wherever the firewall was configured.
You could try Network Utility to connect to that Mac Pro's address and those ports to see what if any response it gets.

OK, I've tried port forwarding to 8443 and 8008 on our router per Apple Enterprise suggestion - still no external access.

Found this article from Apple http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=ServerAdmin/10.5/en/c2cs27.html

I seem to get stuck at steps 10, 11, 12 in Workgroup Manager. When enabling calendaring and select server for a User, I check the box and save. When I exit the User and return, the box is unchecked like nothing was saved. Tried repeatedly but it does not save enabling calendaring. See attached pic.

I still don't have remote access. What am I missing?

Attachments

• enable calendaring.jpg
    enable calendaring.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 4
How are you getting through your firewall at work? Are you using VPN?

No, no VPN @ work. We use that from remote locations. As far as I know at the office, it only took enabling DNS, Open Directory and a few others I think giving us access. We access wirelessly through our router. No firewall changes were needed as far as I know.

CrownCanada

As I understand it. You are at home and trying to access the server at work. Yes?

If you are not using VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access your network (and server), then your server needs to be attached to your router/firewall and port-forwarded -- Or you have the server itself functioning as your router/firewall.

Can you describe your network topology? How are you accessing your work network from home?

CrownCanada

As I understand it. You are at home and trying to access the server at work. Yes?

Mostly correct. I can access the server (files etc) from via VPN. It is iCal Server I to which, I do not seem to have access. Therefor, no automatic calendar updates etc.

CrownCanada
If you are not using VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access your network (and server), then your server needs to be attached to your router/firewall and port-forwarded -- Or you have the server itself functioning as your router/firewall.

Can you describe your network topology? How are you accessing your work network from home?

Server at work office is connected to D-link router. At the office, one Mac is connected directly to the server because it is in the same room. The other MacBook Pro (mine) connects wirelessly through the router. Both have full access to the server including iCal Server and it updates fine.

From home office or any remote location, I access the server through VPN. All works fine except accessing iCal server.

I have tried accessing iCal via VPN, via CalDAV with correct server account settings and URL address and neither works. I have tried port forwarding at the router to the iCal ports and still no access.

Server is not my strength and I'm lost on this one. Thanks for any help I can try.

Back