connecting to internet and to another mac at the same time

lelereb

Registered
I had an emac and an old imac.

emac and imac are connected througth the normale 10/100 ethernet card.

emac has a d-link wireless key to connect to the modem-router.

Working on the emac I can't view internet and the imac at the same time. If in Network Port Configuration I give the preference to the built-in ethernet I only see the imac, if I give the preference to the Ethernet Adaptor I only see internet.

It's normal or a matter of configuration? Thanks.

I really dont know what would do that! Somebody help this poor person out. i have a 2wire router and we have my computer ethernet 2 laptops wireless and a dell desktop wireless. everyone can connect at the same time. To me sounds like a config problem at the router level.

This is normal. Why not connect the iMac to the router, too? Then Mac-to-mac and internet will both work.

If I read that right it is not normal at all. You are not asking about seeing the internet form both computers, but rather that you cannot see the internet and the imac at the same time.

My first guess is that you have set up two networking locations that each explicitly turn off all but one of the adapters. What do you get when you look at the network status page under network in the system prefs.

Mine presently looks like this with two networks attached. How does your look like?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
'it's normal or a matter of configuration?' - neither, 'it is normal, as a matter of your configuration'. Basically, you want to configure a network and internet connection your way; yet, you want the network to work - in a way, that the configuration does not permit.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable between the two Macintosh'es. Connect the iMac to the (unknown manufacturer and model) modem / router directly, and via its 'System Preferences' 'Sharing' utility's 'Services' tab's panel - select 'Personal File Sharing' from the left side list and then click the 'Start' button (to the right of the list). The eMac will now have access to the iMac.

To permit the iMac to have access to the eMac, perform the above 'Sharing' utility process, on the eMac.

From what I understand the e-mac is connected to the to the router 2 ways, via ethernet and wireless.

This is completely unnecessary. Select either/or (I suggest the wired connection). OS X has the ability to do multiple connections via TCP/IP. Set to allow file sharing on both the e-mac and the iMac and you should be OK.

emac is connected to the modem router via the d-link 811g key
emac is also connected to an old imac via the built-in ethernet
the old imac is only connected to the emac via the built-in ethernet

some details:

the d-link modem router has 192.168.1.1 ip address

**** emac
d-link 811g key (ip=192.168.1.2, subnet=255.255.255.0, router=192.168.1.1)
built in ethernet (ip=10.0.0.1, subnet=255.255.255.0, router=blank)

In the network port configuration the d-link ethernet adaptor come first, the built in ethernet is second.

**** imac
build in ethernet (ip=10.0.0.2, subnet=255.255.255.0, router=blank)

On the imac I've an active instance of tomcat, FTP and SSH services.

From the emac:
- I can surf internet
- I can reach the tomcat instance on the imac from the browser
- I can reach the imac with ftp from terminal (after few seconds)
- I can't reach the imac with ssh

I've created on the emac a second location that invert the order (built-in ethernet come first, and then the d-link adaptor). When I activate that location I can no more surf internet but I can reach the imac via ssh.

The strange thing is that I can activate that second location, connect to the imac via ssh and reactivate the primary location without loose ssh connection. It seems that I need the second location just for ssh autentication, but ones connected I can return to my primary location.

Back