connecting to Linux netatalk shares with OS.

influx

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've got a Linux machine here on the network, which I've installed netatalk on so that the OS9 machines here can access files.

Netatalk works without a hitch on OS9. But, if I try to connect to the Linux Appletalk share on OSX, I just get this error message:

"This file server is running on your machine. Please access the volumes and files locally."

Obviously, the linux server isnt running on my OSX machine.

How can i get OSX to read the netatalk shared directory? i know I could use NFS on linux, but Ive failed to get that working correctly yet either...

Originally posted by influx
How can i get OSX to read the netatalk shared directory? i know I could use NFS on linux, but Ive failed to get that working correctly yet either...

It's working fine for me now on OS X 10.1.1. There were various problems with earlier releases of OS X, but I can't remember if 10.1 or 10.1.1 fixed things so they work for me. I just now tried, and the OS X Finder Connect to Server... window browsed my Appletalk network and everything connected just like with the Chooser on OS 9.

You didn't mention any operating details, perhaps you didn't use the network browser in Connect to Server, or perhaps you're running an old version of OS X.

Just for fun, I installed mod_dav in apache on my Linux box, and it works for my shared directory too. That's another alternative for you.

I can't access a netatalk volume from 10.1.1 either. My error is "The AppleShare Server has closed down". Works fine from OS9 tho. When I connect to an appletalk (not appleshare/ip) volume, the finder quits when the volume attempts to mount.

Back