Connecting To local Network

j posch

Registered
Hi, Having problems connecting to my new villages free wireless internet connection. I recently moved house and used to use a dlink wireless router. I use a G4 tower with osx10.4. I am using an asus 607g usb wireless adaptor. When the asus software scans for networks, it comes up with nothing? do I need to change my IP settings or vpn or something? Local PC users have no problem they just turn on their bluetooth and connect, but as usual with macs its probaly more complicated than that. Can anyone help as I am a complete novice with networking?

Wireless internet (through a router) and bluetooth are two different ways of communicating. Its like the difference between Infrared and RF. If thats the case, then turn on your bluetooth on your computer.

Hi, Having problems connecting to my new villages free wireless internet connection. I recently moved house and used to use a dlink wireless router. I use a G4 tower with osx10.4. I am using an asus 607g usb wireless adaptor. When the asus software scans for networks, it comes up with nothing? do I need to change my IP settings or vpn or something? Local PC users have no problem they just turn on their bluetooth and connect, but as usual with macs its probaly more complicated than that. Can anyone help as I am a complete novice with networking?

Are you sure the ASUS adaptor is OKE for mac as ASUS is a PC oriented company. For finding WIRELESS networks you do not have to make any changes to the settings and by choosing a wireless network the software makes (in general) the changes for you. Most likely you are out of range of the WIFI router (concreted, steel and brick walls can derease the REAL range considerably.

Good luck, Kees

Back