Connecting to my mac via webdav

garyi

Registered
Hello all, I am having a struggle here I hope someone can help with.

What I want to achieve is to be able to connect to my mac when not at home. Often I find I need files left on my desktop etc and want access to them from work.

I have a decent upload speed of five megs at home and can currently successfully connect to my home NAS using webdav and its built in web file management.

On the mac running 10.6.8 I have set up sucessfully webdav. if I goto safari and type in my macs ip followed by /dav I am presented with the pop up screen for name and password, this was set via terminal and I get to a directory listing and the words 'it works!'

I have also set up a dydnss account to allow my IP to work, just as I have done with my NAS webdav.

Now the problem occurs from the finder. I want to connect to my mac via 'connect to server' so it appears on my desktop as a share. When I put exactly the sam credentials in here as safari I am told my password is incorrect. It really is not incorrect because from safari it works.

My other confusion is yes I ihave access to a directory of /dav But I want access to my home folder including desktop, and obviously I have missed some fairly fundemental aspects here.

If there is a more simple way of achieving what I want I would love to know. I am dangerous at the minute in that I have half and idea, and am probably leaving myself open to all sorts!

In short:
I want to connect to my iMacs home folder whilst at work. How do I do this!

Have you tried Back to My Mac? It is an integral part of MobileMe and has been carried over to iCloud. Back to My Mac appears to be exactly what you need.

Back