Connecting to network (itunes problem ..)

threesixty

Registered
I've got a g4 mac (10.2.6) connected to a Windows XP machine using a standard 2-way ethernet cable. I have got itunes to add all the music files in my Xp machine to its music library without copying the whole files (saves time, drive space etc..).

When the Xp machine is off Itunes wont start up properly. It just hangs (spinning beach ball) probably trying to connect to the XP machines folder where alot of the music is stored.

Is there anyway around this? Itunes should just realise it cant find the folder anymore and move on. (just like it does with local disks).

And how do I connect to network folders automatically when I boot my Mac. Is it a script thing, or can I set it from some options omewhere?

I'm not sure why iTunes doesn't recognize that those tunes are unavailable. It might be that it sees a device on the other end, and it knows that it has tunes, but it can't access them no matter how hard it tries... I have no idea really. You could leave your XP machine all the time... but that's not the best solution. Perhaps unplugging the Ethernet cable every time you turn off the XP box. (Don't complain about hassle, at one point I had to turn on like 5 different things when I started the computer. It's just something to get used to if it needs to be part of your routine.)

To connect to network folders automatically, try adding them to your Startup Items in System Preferences.

Back