Connecting to NT network

McMoz

Registered
I think I've seen parts of the answers to this elsewhere but it would be great if someone could give me some more advice. I'm a Graphic Designer and I am about to try and connect my EMac at home using OS 10.2 to the NT (4) network here at work. The PC people here have given me an external IP address for the file server, I assumed that now 10.2 has a built-in VPN client this removes the need for a third party client such as Checkpoint's Securemote (tried that with OS9, utterly confusing). Is it simply a case of using the 'Connect to Server' command and typing in the IP address they've given me and then using my user name and password? Is there something else I/they need to do? At work I configured Outlook 2001 on my G4 to talk to the Exchange server by setting up a host file - would I need to do something like this in this instance? As I say, any assistance would be most appreciated...

If I have understood your question, you want to know how to setup a VPN connection to a windows server:

1. Open Internet connect (should be in your Applications folder).
2. Select New VPN connection window (from the file menu)
3. fill in server address, username and password

This VPN client is limited to connect to servers using PPTP.

I'm no expert, but I connect my Wallstreet Powerbook to my office NT server regularly. Naturally, something our network administrator said couldn't be done. This is what I do.

1. Sys Pref > Network > TCP/IP Tab > Configure: "Using DHCP".

2. Finder > Go > Connect to server > Address: (type in the server address) [ for me its an smb://##.#.#.#

3. All computers on the network appear in the window and I choose to connect to the server.

4. I have been logging in as the network administrator, and haven't really explored whether I could do it with my ordinary level of access.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your help. I have been told (yesterday) that they can't enable PPtP because of our Firewall, I think that that is the way to go (using Internet Connect, new VPN connection etc) but I will give the the TCP/IP method a go too. It's very frustating as I have had very little help with this as you can imagine!

I was told all the same things. I do not know anything about our firewall other than we have one and it prevents me from accessing the network from outside the office. But I pull the ethernet from the back of my PC and pop it into the Powerbook, and essentially access the network like my PC. The server mounts on the desktop and I can do anything I need to. One of these days, I'm going to explore it further, but til then I can do what I need. Good luck.

OK it sounds like you are attempting to connect to your office via vpn right? Most people don't like using pptp and will use a third party package. You need to find out from your admin what vpn package they are using as the specifics of what you do is different depending on the actual vpn package. If you're lucky, they'll be using something that has an osx client already. Failing that, if they use a server that supports ipsec, then you may still be ok since you should be able to do ipsec from osx (don't know the specifics as I have not been using osx long enough).

As to changing your network settings to dhcp, this is only valid if you were accessing your work network internally. Well not to say it's not a valid thing to do since most likely your isp requires you to do this anyway, but it won't help you actually connect to your companies network.

Like I said, first step is to find out first exactly what vpn software they're using and then go to that manufacturers site and see if they have mac software available.

Thanks for your comments, Checkpoint's Securemote is the VPN software. Unfortunately whilst there is a Mac version hidden away there is no OSX (as of September last year) client which is why I was looking for an alternative - I had very little luck using the OS9 client, and no help at all from my Network Admin!

OK here is some more info. First the good news, it looks like Checkpoint does support ipsec, but now the bad news, it's going to take some doing on your part. First is a link to a document from Checkpoint on how to get a linux box to work with their vpn.

http://support.checkpoint.com/kb/docs/public/firewall1/4_1/pdf/fw-linuxvpn.pdf

Now this document is for a linux package called FreeSWAN. However, you should be able to extrapolate the config for use with OSX KAME based ipsec.

Next is a pointer to a site that deals with setting up ipsec on osx:

http://www.wiredfool.com/discuss/msgReader$1192?mode=day

I know that this isn't really the "click here, enter this and go" solution that you are looking for, and this solution might exist, but this is what I know of right now.

One other thing you may want to consider is to post another message here under a new thread, but make the thread title something like "help with osx and ipsec" and you might get some responses from those who've actually done this. I'm about 2-4 weeks away from trying this out myself, though I'm configuring both sides so it'll take me longer.

Back